Leeway1

Greenie
Jul 7, 2016
South Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys. First post here, but have been interested in rocks etc all my life really, so no stranger to meteorite information. I have not personally identified any that I have ever found as a meteorite, though I really was only looking for interesting things to research. A friend and neighbor found this one in their field. I thought recently, but was just told he found it maybe 5 years ago rather than the few weeks I was originally thinking. This is a farm field, so I cannot say how many times it has been plowed up and under, but a couple times annually would be possible. You can see evidence of where it was hit by the plow. He was walking the field one day and it just caught his eye.

This was found in South Alabama.

It does have flecks of nickel. It is not magnetic though and that is what is puzzling to me. It appears to have iron in it as well. Tiny redish spots.

Thoughts are welcome. I have researched minerals and geodes found around here too, BTW and cannot place it.

Oh and both halves together weigh 270 grams.

I didn't actually do the cutting. My Son cut it. He said it was fairly easy cutting in a wet tile saw with diamond blade. Just went slow.

I can scratch it with a pocket knife though i gotta say not easily.

I did the streak test on a bisc ceramic crucible and it didn't leave much of any mark.

In all my searching, the closest thing I have seen to the looks of the outside is a diogenite. Specifically the Molay.

Molay

Unfortunately I cannot see the inside.

Anyway to the photo's.

Attachments

• 1st face.jpg
    1st face.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 108
  • both 3.jpg
    both 3.jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 96
  • both long.jpg
    both long.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 92
  • both top.jpg
    both top.jpg
    412.2 KB · Views: 93
  • both.jpg
    both.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 102
  • both2.jpg
    both2.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 107
  • close 2nd half.jpg
    close 2nd half.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 117
  • nickel specs.jpg
    nickel specs.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 115
  • top half.jpg
    top half.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 97

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Out of all the "meteorites" found and shown here on T-Net this one is one of the "best" candidates.
The window cut looks good and I do see "crust" and "pitting".
Personally I would say yes but as you should know,,, have it examined by a pro.
I am jealous,,,NICE FIND Leeway1,,

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, not a meteorite. If you still believe it is, take it to a geologist. :skullflag:

OP
OP
L

Leeway1

Greenie
Jul 7, 2016
South Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Guys.
We will send off a small portion of one of the halves. No problems doing that. Probably one to this place.
Meteorite Testing

Anyone here have any feedback on them?

I will most likely send off the same sample to a geologist upon it's return and confirmation that it might be from around here.
With so many characteristics of it pointing to being a meteorite, you can see why I am curious at this point. The only one lacking is the iron magnetic attraction.

Can I ask what you may know about it that makes you think it is a mineral or rock instead? I have researched from both ends really from outerspace to under my foot. ;)
Thanks again.

OP
OP
L

Leeway1

Greenie
Jul 7, 2016
South Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Guys.

I used a break to shear a sample off of one part. I plan on sending it off for analysis and will report back with the results. Either a retirement fund contributor or paper weight. ;)

The sample weighs 15 grams. That should be plenty.

I decided to shear it rather than slice this. That way it showed the natural breaking structure. I call the coloring in the beak to be sea foam green to OD green.

You can make out shiny nickel specs throughout the break. I did test them with a multi meter and those larger ones have zero resistance, so it is some sort of metal and I am guessing nickel. I suppose we will find out.

Anyway a few more images.

Attachments

• sample1.jpg
    sample1.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 83
  • sample2.jpg
    sample2.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 96
  • sample3.jpg
    sample3.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 81
  • sample4.jpg
    sample4.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 86
  • samplewhole.jpg
    samplewhole.jpg
    530.7 KB · Views: 79
OP
OP
L

Leeway1

Greenie
Jul 7, 2016
South Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if I mentioned it, but this does scratch glass. I will let everyone know the results.
Also let me clarify.
I posted that it contains nickel above. I meant nickel looking since it is non magnetic. I should have said metal like or shiny. Apologies on that. I was told on another forum that it almost certainly doesn't contain nickel. I knew that, but didn't clarify. :)
It is metal of some sort though. I am almost nearly 3% certain of it. ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Leeway1

Greenie
Jul 7, 2016
South Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry nailed it.
Terrestrial origin. Here is an excerpt.

"Thank you for sending the sample for meteorite testing. Your sample was examined with petrographic microscopy for meteoritic structures, inclusions, clasts, chondrules, texture, and chemically tested for Ni. The sample size was fine for testing.

I’m sorry, but all observations and testing were negative, the sample is not meteoritical. It is not a meteorite or of Martian or Lunar origin.
The sample is a highly weathered igneous rock. The dominant mineralogy is orthoclase and serpentine. This sample is terrestrial in formation. "

Could not find anything that polished out like it, but I imagine the stuff forms much like fingerprints. No two samples will look exactly alike with this stuff. This one is pretty close though. Coloring is a little different.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/classconne...7/jpg/serpentine-76-a-1503A45D5A76EF8E7A7.jpg

I gotta say it has been interesting doing research on this subject again. I don't do it often enough. The metallic inclusions are still a mystery to me. Nickel is out, but could be silver. Lots of silver mines in Alabama, but could also be magnesium. However it has mild attraction to a strong magnet. Oh and a rare Earth magnet probably should not be used for field testing. I have some hematite stuff that is plentiful here that forms along with our sandstone. Brown color. Red streak. Mildly magnetic. This stuff is everywhere. My yard looks like it is full of meteorites. To a novice. ;)

OP
OP
L

Leeway1

Greenie
Jul 7, 2016
South Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought you guys might like to see the sample meteorite they sent back to us.

It is pretty nice. It is a piece of Dimmitt in Texas. Found 1942 H3.7 Stone.

It is not as small a piece as I was expecting.

Couple pictures through my new scope.

Attachments

• S20160722_0001.jpg
    S20160722_0001.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 79
  • S20160722_0003.jpg
    S20160722_0003.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 89

DolanDave

Aug 25, 2012
Las Vegas, NV
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPZ 7000, GPX 6000, Equinox 800, ect.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You can clearly see the round chondrules in the dimmit meteorite...
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread