Can You Identify The Meteorite in this Photo?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, 6pm EST is 5pm CST, and it's now 5:27pm.

--yelling-- HEY TERRY - ARE YOU AWAKE?? ...Guess he should have been using the digital watch instead of the old fashioned one with hands and all. :laughing7:

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Too easy, but fun. Thanks for posting. We simply must do it again sometime:hello:

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmm...I don't remember seeing All of the above on there. :dontknow:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Somehow, I feel I learned the wrong lesson. :duckie:

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The "Lesson" to be learned is - No one on this forum can tell you if your rock is from space. We can guess, that's all. If you really think you have found a meteorite you need to check with a local geologist, and determine if your find is within a known strewnfield.

NEVER buy a "meteorite" off Ebay - ever. Your chances of buying an expensive earth rock are better than 75%.

So, when you ask "Is this a meteorite?" remember, we are just guessing. :occasion14:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm glad the lesson wasn't 'Terry Soloman gives tricky multiple choice tests'. :tongue3:

Do it again!

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I very much enjoyed this thread. I did not know what to expect as far as identification, but all from gold basin teaches a valuable lesson.

I do have one point of contention, however. I believe that taking a suspect rock to a local geologist, for most, would be a waste of time. I would change that to a qualified professional. Why? Many geologists have absolutely no practical experience identifying meteorites. Most of the geologists I know have extensive experience in either the mining or oil industries. To ask them to identify a meteorite is truly a waste of my time and theirs.

I run into this problem with Earth Sciences at local colleges, too. I would dare say that if Terry took all the rocks he pictured to any 20 colleges that do not have a specific section dedicated to meteorite identification, that at least 15 would misidentify most.

Perhaps this is nitpicking, but a college degree does not confer qualifications. That is earned primarily through experience. Before, during, and after college.

Other than that single point, I loved this lesson. It proved the point that Terry and others have been making for some time. While it is very easy to point out many meteor wrongs, relying on pictures alone one can not positively identify meteorites.

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I very much enjoyed this thread. I did not know what to expect as far as identification, but all from gold basin teaches a valuable lesson.

I do have one point of contention, however. I believe that taking a suspect rock to a local geologist, for most, would be a waste of time. I would change that to a qualified professional. Why? Many geologists have absolutely no practical experience identifying meteorites. Most of the geologists I know have extensive experience in either the mining or oil industries. To ask them to identify a meteorite is truly a waste of my time and theirs.

I run into this problem with Earth Sciences at local colleges, too. I would dare say that if Terry took all the rocks he pictured to any 20 colleges that do not have a specific section dedicated to meteorite identification, that at least 15 would misidentify most.

Perhaps this is nitpicking, but a college degree does not confer qualifications. That is earned primarily through experience. Before, during, and after college.

Other than that single point, I loved this lesson. It proved the point that Terry and others have been making for some time. While it is very easy to point out many meteor wrongs, relying on pictures alone one can not positively identify meteorites.

I wasn't clear. Take the rock to a geologist and ask them to identify what type of rock it is. If they can't identify it as terrestrial then you still have a shot. Many colleges have geology labs that love looking at rocks. :occasion14:

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I enjoyed this thread.
Here is a little story about taking a couple of rocks to the rock shop.
They said mine weren't meteorites and he picked one up off the shelf and placed it in my sweaty hand. Can you guess what happened.
A perfect meteorite just spit a bunch of iron out in my hand. Must have been caused by the sweet and the dry meteorite.
I bet that iron meteorite isn't worth much anymore.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
I could tell E was a meteorite by the window. The window was intentionally concealed on the others. Hmm. Sounds like intentional obfuscation, Terry.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Thread: Can You Identify The Meteorite in this Photo?

Not to mention...

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey, it's no worse than some of the other mess we see, usually coming from DC! :tongue3:

Terry, how ya' like being compared to a politician?!?!? :laughing9: (actually, that's a VERY cruel and inhumane thing for me to say) ......:occasion14:

OP
OP
Terry Soloman

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, I was deceptive. That is the entire point of this thread. There is not ONE "expert" here - or any place else, that would risk their reputation by identifying a "meteorite" by looking at photos online. Anyone that claims they can are lying - period. :occasion14:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Aren't there times when a meteorite gives those little telltale signs??

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread