Meteorite question?

swizzle

May 3, 2003
upstate ny
I have a man that says he wants me to check his side yard. He says he's got a hole 20 feet around that he wants me to check. He says he thinks its a meteorite impact site. Giving the size of the hole and the fact the the general soil content is a little rocky then how big would a meteorite have to be to leave a hole this large? I'm not sure but I'm thinking its a cellar hole thats had the rocks covered over with dirt and time. The hole has been there as long as he can remember. Also how deep could a meteorite bury itself? Jason

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
I don't know about that stuff,But you can read the book: Rocks From Space..This book has a lot of information and has some on how meteorites make impacts and may have some of the information your asking about.Also,You can go to.... Ask a scientist.com..I have received good answers here for other questions I have wondered about.
My husbands brother was up and told me his hole in the ground spot was there? since they can remember and it was part of the land formation of there deed stuff..They do how-ever have some sand pit areas also..He said I can detect in them anytime.This is a strange hole.You can drive down in to it and there is a area of what looks to me like a side entry...And thats what is so different to this hole thats kind of big but not so big and covered by trees.It is pretty cool looking and it has a rounded circular body.It would have the shape of a tear drop..Round with a point if you seen it from the sky or if you looked from the entry spot!Just to much of a question...Mostly just interesting.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Meteorites can bury themselves much deeper than 20 feet. See the Meteorite Crater in Arizona. Conversely, some meteorites are so massive and moving so slow it barely buries itself. One I am looking for in Oregon was found within a week of impact, and still had 2-feet of 22 feet showing above ground. Now wondering how to break off a piece for analysis.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Most meteorites are nickel-iron. A sledge hammer wouldn't even dent them. Hopefully a piece broke off on impact and is still lying around. Kind of think I'll need a demolition person...

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Send me a piece. Tommy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread