• Web 3-12-05 011.jpg
    Web 3-12-05 011.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 758
OP
OP
P

phillipofnc

Dec 20, 2003
Sorry, Been a little sick. I scraped it with a knife an it is shiny inside and I am sure it could be cut I guess. It registers silver on bh 505

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
Scratch it on the under side of a toilet seat..if it deos not leave any mark,it might be of meteorite...
Put a compass at it's side,if it retracts this is a good sign.Is it magnetic?Try these first and see what happens.Otherwise it might just be some type of iron ore or magnitite or heamatite.

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
I have some real problems about the scratching of the toilet seat...I would like to see a freshly fallen meteorite that a museum has or someone who sells them and see for my self if they really don't leave some kind of mark..Because with this burnt stuff.Wouldn't that leave a mark or is it that they mean it is melted and looks burnt, but it is still as hard as rock? That is what I have never really understood about the meteorite.The rocks they show all are polished to..so that always leaves a dark area when showing them on on the net or in a book...I would like their showing revamped so if you have found a meteorite,you have every question answered before you actually send them in for nickle testing..That way you save money and time!

oldestjim

Sep 5, 2004
Southern California
Gosh--- Phillpofnc--- it has now been nearly a month--- have you done more testing?"

Unfortunately--- most commonly a piece of limonite or magnetite are mistaken as a meteorite, then
next are the various "slags," and last could be some sort of artifact that has rusted.

But there are simple tests that may help in the decision process. But as gold surf noted it is really difficult to make a decision on what to do.

Part of the dilemma is the "meteorite." It first needs to be identified as a possible stone, stony-iron, or iron.
Then more refined tests.

There are books out to help; everyone needs a copy of Nortons to help point you in the right direction.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread