Found a Meteorite....

Green Frost

Oct 9, 2005
Pretty sure this is a meteorite, compared it to others on the forum as well as various sites. I found it out in the middle of my woods, guess it just kinda poped out at me so I picked it up. I didn't think it was going to be a meteorite, but came in cleaned it off and looked very diff. from any other "rock" I have found. It is heavy, and always seems to be very cold. Also makes my hand/arm start feeling weird after holding it for a little bit.

(Click pictures for bigger image)

Rob66

Bronze Member
Jun 30, 2006
California
Detector(s) used
Whites new coinmaster-Teso Silver Max-Minelab GT
I've found many that don't look like one.Hot rock maybe.

soar697877

Jul 3, 2007
Clarksville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ultra GTA 350, Garrett Ace 250
Do you have a local University there to be able to test, or would it be a big hassle?

I have got a few small specimans I need to have checked out too....does it cost much

to have checked ?

K

Kentucky Kache

I have a friend who runs a museum and he cuts/polishes/tests rocks. If you'd like the address pm me.

He cautioned me about some kind of poison that meteorites can pick up in the atmosphere, but I can't remember what it was.

soar697877

Jul 3, 2007
Clarksville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ultra GTA 350, Garrett Ace 250
If that would be the case, that would explain why I cannot seem to find my keys, wallet, cell phone at times, etc....geesh, I knew it wasn't because I was getting "old" like the wife says,LOL...

Haoleman

Aug 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000
I agree, they can be very dangerous. Could be a piece of radioactive satellite fallout or worse yet, if it cracks open when you pick it up and has a gelatinous substance in it, put it down, don't poke it to see what it is and RUN!!!

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where did ya find it? That would help us de side weather or not it you should hove it tested or not.

j.letson

Greenie
Apr 20, 2008
Cache Crazy said:
I have a friend who runs a museum and he cuts/polishes/tests rocks. If you'd like the address pm me.

He cautioned me about some kind of poison that meteorites can pick up in the atmosphere, but I can't remember what it was.
Sounds like someone watches to much of the SciFi channel on TV.

K

Kentucky Kache

j.letson said:
Cache Crazy said:

Sounds like someone watches to much of the SciFi channel on TV.

Ladies and gentlemen, we have an expert in our midst. All our questions will now be answered. Go j.

j.letson

Greenie
Apr 20, 2008
Cache Crazy said:
I got one just like it being tested.
I hope it's not being tested by the "friend" at the museum who believes in poisonous space rocks... probably turn out to be the end of life as we know it.

K

Kentucky Kache

j.letson said:
Cache Crazy said:
I hope it's not being tested by the "friend" at the museum who believes in poisonous space rocks... probably turn out to be the end of life as we know it.

I'm just glad you came along when you did. Man, we mortals had no clue.

j.letson

Greenie
Apr 20, 2008
Cache Crazy said:
j.letson said:
Cache Crazy said:

Clueless, :icon_scratch: yep that pretty much sums it up. ;D Have a nice day. I don't have time for a battle of wits against someone who is obviously unarmed. :thumbsup: :icon_jokercolor:

K

Kentucky Kache

j.letson said:
Cache Crazy said:
j.letson said:
Cache Crazy said:

Clueless, :icon_scratch: yep that pretty much sums it up. ;D Have a nice day. I don't have time for a battle of wits against someone who is obviously unarmed. :thumbsup: :icon_jokercolor:

If you ever get the time, I'll be around. Proove yourself or SHUT UP!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread