936.3 KB · Views: 101

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope. Not a meteorite - in my opinion. :skullflag:

Driftwoood

Mar 31, 2016
Schoharie County, NY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks to be a lump of melted stuff... like from a burn pit/barrel. Sometimes I find that kind of thing in trash pit areas where there was a hot fire. Folks burn all kinds of stuff and it wouldn't be surprising to find a ball of melted glass fused with metal and just about any other kind of thing. Out of curiosity, what machine are you using and how did it read on your machine?

OP
OP
B

bloovey

Feb 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm using a bounty hunter fast tracker, and it reads a medium tone on this object. its definitely not a fire pit rock. Look a bit like native copper like azurite and malachite, but also in a way it looks like a meteorite.

ChrisWhewell

Greenie
Mar 11, 2009
Detector(s) used
Fisher T-20; White's Coinmaster 1TRDX
Its hard to say. The meteorite experts are well-versed with freshly-fallen material, and also some older larger ones that were buried and stationary. But, the number of meteorite falls per annum has been accurately estimated, and if you take that number and multiply it by the age of the earth, to calculate an approximation of the number of meteorites that have hit Earth in the past 4B years, then divide by the surface area of the Earth, you get a number of meteorites per square meter of the Earth's surface. As most are aware, they also fall atop of glaciers, and like many rocks in glacial till, they get tumbled over time, like in a rock tumbler. So, a 2 billion year old meteorite that's been weathered and tumbled will have a much different appearance than what the experts are accustommed to dealing with. In fact, some true meteorites won't even look like a meteorite. According to Prof. Alvarez's celebrated theory, iridium content can be a telltale sign. I've got one that analyzed at 0.1% iridium by XRF, which is a hefty amount and also given that Ir in the Earth's crust is essentially non-existent. If you want to see what some meteorites look like, look up a fellow named Robert Haag, he has a big catalog on the internet you can leaf through and get a feel for the different classifications of meteorites !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread