Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a meteorite but a Kimberlite. The texture of the stone and the presence of feldspar and what are either chromium diopside or pyrope garnet, the green gemmy crystals, are typical for kimberlite. A source of diamonds you may want to go back to where you found it and check around :) Good diopside or pyrope garnet are worth a penny as well. Nice specimen and thanks for the cut view.

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I thought the same at first, DD, but after more looking I don't think it's kimberlite.....at least I'm not certain.
Jim

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a "Meteorwrong." :occasion14:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you Terry. My guess is slag. And just curious, but does everybody have a Kimberlite pipe in their back yard? They are way more rare than meteorites. And meteorites are ridiculously rare.

Shankersbend

Dec 6, 2016
Oroville, WA.
Detector(s) used
Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, meteorites are not rare, they are just hard to find. Regarding kimberlite pipes, you would wasting your time looking for. BUT, there are good chances you could
locate lamproite pipes. I discovered a small swarm of possible lamproite pipes and a possible meteorite impact crater in my back yard. (Don't define 'back yard' by city terms. My back yard is pretty big.) One can be seen out my window, the other is just down the road. Diamondiferous pipes are usually found by locating 'indicator'
minerals. I could not do that so I used my hand-held rock crusher and microscope to look for diamonds in the crushed rock. I eventually found one microscopic diamond
(GIA jeweler verified).

Shankersbend

Dec 6, 2016
Oroville, WA.
Detector(s) used
Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted some flicks of kimberlite (from South Africa) at the bottom of my post 'Impact Crater?' Dec. 8th. Kimberlite is usually blue/grey.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, they are rarely found. Something like 2000 ever, in the US. There are only 6 on record here in SC.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread