Presumably Something Cool

JustinT

May 23, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this rock in CO south of Lake Granby near the river. I have not a single clue as to the specifics. The larger rock weights approximately 272 grams. A small portion broke off during my flight home back to MS, so I decided to crack it open! I am unsure if it is even a meteorite, but it is still pretty cool!

IMG_2330.JPG IMG_2331.JPG IMG_2332.JPG

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Justin. Welcome to TreasureNet. Because of the fiery entrance into the atmosphere, it should show sign of some melting. Most meteorites are comprised of iron.

Art_Blade

Jun 25, 2014
Warsaw
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Teknetics Omega 8000
White's VX3, V3i
DeTech SSP-2000PI, Garrett pinponter, Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Use magnet to check iron content but doesn't look like a meteorite. Maybe next time....

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It almost looks like a type of kimberlite - could be worth more than a meteorite :O (which means look for diamonds) I'd double check your meteorite theory first before you go smashing it to bits then if it isn't look for shineys :)

OP
OP
J

JustinT

May 23, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies, y'all! A miner from CO said it was a moon rock, so I took her word for it. This does look like kimberlite. I don't want to jump the gun, but there are clear gems embedded EVERYWHERE! There are also shades of green (looks like copper that's been oxidized or some form of tarnish). A friend from high school is offering to professionally slice the rock. Any advice for me? I'll also post my new findings in the gem and mineral forums if allowed. Thanks again!

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies, y'all! A miner from CO said it was a moon rock, so I took her word for it. This does look like kimberlite. I don't want to jump the gun, but there are clear gems embedded EVERYWHERE! There are also shades of green (looks like copper that's been oxidized or some form of tarnish). A friend from high school is offering to professionally slice the rock. Any advice for me? I'll also post my new findings in the gem and mineral forums if allowed. Thanks again!

My advice is not to let your friend do anything unless you're there for the entire process. Doesn't take much or long to cut a slice in order to be sent to a lab or wherever. It most likely isn't a meteorite though. So, in that case, a slice isn't needed at all, and you just need to strategically smash it to check the insides for hosted diamonds. If there are any ore minerals you'd be able to scoop them up and pan them still.

OP
OP
J

JustinT

May 23, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have begun the smashing process. It feels cool to mine for diamonds in my backyard lol I'll add photos of any, if any, finds!

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
show some pics of the innards...i'd like to see if it was a kimberlite...it would look almost like a breccia with little bits and pieces of a bunch of different minerals in it

OP
OP
J

JustinT

May 23, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The last photo is through a magnifying lens. It looks cool if nothing else.

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't look much like a kimberlite close up and I'm not that well versed to tell you exactly what it is, but it did look cool :)...keep looking though, and you will find something. Meteorites are my favorite to look for because they require no special set up circumstances or location to be there. Gold chooses where it wants to be and if you don't live near a gold bearing area, you will have a hard time finding it. Meteorites don't listen to mother nature, they attack it 8-)

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All I can tell you for certain is that it is not a meteorite. Sorry I cannot tell you what it is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread