Should I go back for this possible HUGE iron meteorite?

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ran into this possible meteorite a little while ago and I had a very hard time getting a chip off of it to test. I finally got around to testing the small chip with DMG and the swab did turn pink. It wasn't an overwhelming color change, and the color didnt change on every single spot. Could it not have had a dramaticly change because I could only test the severely weathered edge chip? Has anyone else tested an iron meteorite with DMG? Should the swab turn heavily pink on every spot of the meteorite if it is one?

I think I'm making out what could have possibly been regmaglypts on it. Should I go back and get this guy or what? Meteoright or meteorwrong?

S4.jpg

What else could it be looking like that?

edit: oh and its magnetic

Last edited:

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks , to me, like it broke off the rock above it.
Jim

OP
OP
R

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks , to me, like it broke off the rock above it.
Jim

I think thats very unlikely as this is a solid mass of metal and the rocks of the sort above it have no staining of any type of mineralization anywhere in a 1 mile radius, let alone a solid metal object inches thick. Thanks for the feedback, tbough..have u ever tested a meteorite with dmg? Feedack on that?

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
DMG is not a definitive test for meteorites. DMG turning pink is an indicator of nickel. False positives are common unless nickel or palladium are the only metals present. Other metals and minerals present can present a host of results, even when nickel is present.

I also agree with Jim that it likely broke off the rock above.

OP
OP
R

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tough crowd here eh? You guys are going well out of your way to tell me I have anything but a meteorite. I would make a stop at 'its something man made' before you told me I have a huge chunk of telluric iron eroding out of a sandstone? Unless what your saying is that meteorite landed in the sands of that rock 300 million years ago? I know not all of the people of tnet have the best wishes for everyone but by your ill will I think you're actually giving me more credit than credit is due.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You could try Meteorite Central, and subscribe to their meteorite mailing list. You could try Club Space Rock, which is Geoff Notkin's forum. Geoff is one of TV's Meteorite Men. There will be more experienced hands on deck at those sources. That said, I don't think anyone has said anything here to actually discourage you, or be a tough crowd. After all, probably 99%+ of the time, what people think might be a meteorite turns out to not be a meteorite. You're not going to determine anything conclusive with the test your describing. And yes, there are so-called fossil meteorites, meaning found in very ancient formations, having fallen millions of years ago. The Lake Murray iron meteorite is one such example. It was found in a formation that is 90-110 million years old. There are knowledgeable people here on TNet, but the other sources I mention, especially the meteorite-list(google it) are more experienced, and more active....

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most times only a test will tell for sure. In all fairness, almost, that's ALMOST all of the possible but as yet untested, meteorite finds shown on Tnet, including mine, had proven otherwise. And yes, it could be wedged in sandstone.

OP
OP
R

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is most definitely wedged under that sandstone, but that hunk of solid metal did most certainly not erode out of it. Thats what these 2 guys were saying here that the solid metal object and the sandstone are the same object. Not in a million years...or 300.

Do you guys think those bumps on the thing could pass for weathered regmaglypts? Do you think its worth a shot at sending in a sample? Thats what I was really asking when I started this thread, not weather or not it eroded out of a sandstone.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll never know without a test. Now here's the rub. I can't tell the size by the picture. If it's a 4 ounce rock, I'd just bring it home, then test it. If it is POUNDS, it could be worth a lot, but without a test, it won't matter.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
At least we know it's not slag. As you know a lot of tests can be done in place. I would do those and if there are still good indicators I'd take it to the next level. Don't be defensive though. If you follow this forum you'd know there are many more rocks that meteorites.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Here's a list of fossil meteorites. The Lake Murray iron was in fact found in a sandstone formation. The rock you're showing would not be in a wedged situation if it were a fossil meteorite, however. It would be firmly embedded since the sandstone layers above it would have basically enveloped it as sand before the sand itself became sandstone. But, perhaps later erosion would lead to what you're seeing. On the other hand, what is the likelihood that a meteorite fall would end up wedged like that upon impact? A huge iron is not going to bounce upon impact, that's for sure. And it would be a neat trick of it actually fell in that position. It seems pretty unlikely. But, I would follow hvacker's advice, and if field tests pan out, try to obtain a sample and submit to a recognized meteorite testing lab...

FOSSIL METEORITES

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread