Red Stone Meteorite?

Jturk76

Jul 2, 2017
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in Central Texas. I have attached a photo of what I believe may be a stone meteorite. It does not adhere to a magnet. It is very heavy in comparison to other rocks of it's size. It has metallic flecks.

Any assistance in identifying this rock would be much appreciated.

IMG_0093.JPG IMG_0092.JPG

Rific

Mar 7, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man is it pretty! Id sure like to know too!

OP
OP
J

Jturk76

Jul 2, 2017
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me too. I am surprised the experts have not chimed in. Maybe it's not worth the time because it's likely just a rock!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The experts are laughing too hard to type. It's "Leaverright." :skullflag:

Seek Ye First

Sep 23, 2014
Central Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's fossilized dinosaur poop from a T-Rex who just scoured a caveman's crops. You can clearly see the kernels of corn stuck in the poop!! :laughing7:

OP
OP
J

Jturk76

Jul 2, 2017
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the kernel of information! Keep it coming!

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry's comment is from one of TreasureNets most knowledgeable Meteorite Hunters. I would listen to him and not be rude.

OP
OP
J

Jturk76

Jul 2, 2017
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am basing my response on Terry's own disqualifying comment. There was no substance to listen to. Just a weak attempt to be condescending and unnecessary. No big deal.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am basing my response on Terry's own disqualifying comment. There was no substance to listen to. Just a weak attempt to be condescending and unnecessary. No big deal.

I'm sorry you are disappointed and offended Jturk76. Anyone, and I do mean anyone, that slaps a photo of a rock up on an internet forum and expects to get a determination as to whether it is a meteorite or not is only kidding themselves. Take your terrestrial rock to a college geology department, and let the professor tell you what I already have. Again, I'm sorry you felt the need to attack me personally, but facts are facts, and your rock is, well, a rock. :icon_thumright:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I have to agree with the above assessment from Terry.

Having said that, I still need to ask the question: What are the specific characteristics of this rock that lead you to believe it may be a meteorite?

Time for more coffee.

OP
OP
J

Jturk76

Jul 2, 2017
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies. I had not thought much of the rock initially, except that it was pretty cool. Not until a friend mentioned that it looked like some of the meteorites he had recently seen in person at auction houses. It looks as if it's been heated up. It appears to have a thin crust and the rocks on the surface are melted into it. It does not appear to have any air pockets. It is heavily dotted with what look like chondrites. I am solely basing that on pics of chondrites. The shape is very aerodynamic. It is 9.5" long, 4" wide, and 2" thick. It weighs 5.5 lbs per my digital scale. Much heavier than other rocks I weighed of comparable size. I am working on an appointment with the local university's geology department for further identification. Could be slag but I tried a few magnets on it and none seem to be attracted.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
That evaluation is a good start, as far as critical thinking goes. The description you give, however, also describes a great number of terrestrial rocks, particularly metamorphic.

If you have interest in learning about meteorites, please get a few good guides. I would refrain from web sites and YouTube as a source of information, at least for a while. There are way too many amateurs out there who do not know what they are talking about. If you follow this section of the forum long enough, you will see what I mean.

For the matter at hand, ask a qualified professional to take a peek. Some geologists will be able to give you a qualified opinion, some won't, so you will have to do a little homework on who to take it to.

An iced breve just appeared in front of me. Time to take it outside.

OP
OP
J

Jturk76

Jul 2, 2017
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the response and information. I have reached out to the University of Texas regarding identification. My property also has significant signs of Paleo activity and prehistoric life. So far I've observed countless ocean life fossils, coral beds, petrified bone weighing well over 100 lbs, etc. Two of my fireplaces were built out of much of that. Not meteorites, but definitely more to learn about. I suspect it won't be a wasted trip to Austin either way.

IMG_0148.JPG

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Niece goes to school in Austin. Great town. I never knew the original Whole Foods, was in Austin. :occasion14:

OP
OP
J

Jturk76

Jul 2, 2017
Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, it's the center of the universe for some Austinites. It's a cool town. Love kayak fishing the river, great scenery on any day.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Nice airport, but the road out there has been under construction since before the grandkids were born. I prefer the other Austin. The one in Nevada. Turquoise, gold, silver, antelope, bighorn sheep, hot springs. And a slower pace.

Time for coffee.

bone2stone

Oct 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting specimen.
Fossilized alluvial deposit (conglomerate) replaced with iron oxide, broken of main body of deposit tumbled
re-deposited, oxidized re-tumbled and finally picked up by you.
Nice specimen pretty color and good to use as example of naturally cemented stone.

Bone2stone

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread