Very Old Meteorite!

cookiemonstr87

Jun 18, 2007
California
Hello,
I was just wondering if anyone knew a place that buys meteorits in Northern California. A friend of mine has a huge meteorite that was his Grandmothers. She past away last year and while he was cleaning out her house he found this meteorite. There is one huge piece, and then he also has about 5 smaller pieces that belong to it. You can't really see the color of it, because it has probably like 50 or so years of dust covering it. He odesn't know what to use to clean it either. He is afriad he might use the wrong thing to clean it, so if anyone can help us out with this, any information would help. Thank You.
Danna.

P.S.
I can probably get a few pictures on here, but it wouldn't be until later today, or even in the morning. Thanks again :)

utah hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Utah county, Utah
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-terra 70, Fisher F75, eyes, brain
Don't clean it, and you will need to have it authenticated to sell it. If it has some of the original "crust" it will help the value. Many universities will authenticate it for you. Unfortunately, odds are extremely slim that it really is a meteorite, no matter what the family stories. If it can be documented with a specific fall from the sky and then found it adds a whole lot to the value. Pics would be cool, I look forward to seeing some and I can expand my opinion on authenticity.

pgleba

Oct 4, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Try the University of Arizona for authentication. I believe their geology department deals with meteorites given the crater at Winslow. To clean it get a can of compressed air such as used to clean computers. You might want to look at the meteorites for sale on eBay. Get an idea of prices. However to get a decent price you will have to determine the location of the find. Plus get it weighed. You will need three or four good photos, including close-ups.
Robert Haag, the meteorite man, buys meteorites. He won't hesitate to take advantage of a newbie. Is there a geology agency or univerity geology department near you? Perhaps their petrologist (rock expert) could help. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread