Unidentifiable type of rock,

RadRockee

Greenie
Dec 1, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright first I would like to say thank you for allowing me into this group as a new member, this is why I am here. I purchased this on EBay as a meteorite here is the problem. Several meteorite groups on Facebook with trained eyes have said this is not a meteorite it has no fusion crust how bla bla,however I have posted this is 5 other rock groups and have YET had anyone tell me what this could be. Is it a new kind of rock, a strange meteorite? I can see what I think myself is a very very thin fusion crust in my opinion, what is your opinion?

Attachments

• IMG_8043.JPG
    IMG_8043.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 176
  • IMG_8044.JPG
    IMG_8044.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 158
  • IMG_8007.PNG
    IMG_8007.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 172
  • IMG_7909.PNG
    IMG_7909.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 177
  • IMG_7937.JPG
    IMG_7937.JPG
    1,022.5 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_7883.PNG
    IMG_7883.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 176

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome ! Nice Hunk of Meteorite :coffee2:

OP
OP
R

RadRockee

Greenie
Dec 1, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Odd from the others in the collection barely if at all magnetic, definitely a different one. I dropped it once on the marble floor and it started vibrating in my hand and then it cracked like it had a little earthquake I could feel the vibrations pulsing through my hand I thought it is very strange. met5 .jpg I got it really cheap but it seems to be reactive to getting cut so i'm a bit nervous to cutting it because I don't know what kind of rocks vibrate when you drop them on marble floors but it gave me a scare. You can see in the picture where it feel and the crack from the vibrations I got scared. Drop.jpg

SpaceRocks

Greenie
Mar 12, 2018
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
An old Fisher
Primary Interest:
Other
lol Thats a cool story! HaHA.. I will have to try that sometime with a couple of mine to see if they vibrate. It kind of makes sense if you think about it. If a rock / or / crystal has an unusual mix of solidified and or crystallized materials it could resonate in a unique manner when struck. Think of crystals used in "Crystal Radio Sets".

It does look like a meteorite at first glance and NWA (Northwest African) meteorites are very common. The climate out there is one of the best for meteorites and people go out digging and sifting all the time finding buckets full of them. As a buyer always do your research though. If it is sold as an Unclassified NWA meteorite that is one thing. Labeled and named meteorites are another. I know a guy who bought from a well known member of IMCA and it was a common NWA meteorite. I would imagine most IMCA members are good but again always do your research.

SpaceRocks

Greenie
Mar 12, 2018
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
An old Fisher
Primary Interest:
Other
lol Thats a cool story! HaHA.. I will have to try that sometime with a couple of mine to see if they vibrate. It kind of makes sense if you think about it. If a rock / or / crystal has an unusual mix of solidified and or crystallized materials it could resonate in a unique manner when struck. Think of crystals used in "Crystal Radio Sets".

It does look like a meteorite at first glance and NWA (Northwest African) meteorites are very common. The climate out there is one of the best for meteorites and people go out digging and sifting all the time finding buckets full of them. As a buyer always do your research though. If it is sold as an Unclassified NWA meteorite that is one thing. Labeled and named meteorites are another. I know a guy who bought from a well known member of IMCA and it was a common NWA meteorite. I would imagine most IMCA members are good but again always do your research.

Lonewanderer

Tenderfoot
Nov 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright first I would like to say thank you for allowing me into this group as a new member, this is why I am here. I purchased this on EBay as a meteorite here is the problem. Several meteorite groups on Facebook with trained eyes have said this is not a meteorite it has no fusion crust how bla bla,however I have posted this is 5 other rock groups and have YET had anyone tell me what this could be. Is it a new kind of rock, a strange meteorite? I can see what I think myself is a very very thin fusion crust in my opinion, what is your opinion?

Definitely looks like a meteorite. I think I can see 1 chondrule in the close up pic, as well as the Veining which I could argue are hematite veins as oppose to “shock veins” as stated in the certificate. This occurs after many years on earth as terrestrial minerals will slowly creep into the meteorites. Also, the black crust is most likely desert varnish and NOT Fusion crust. Another sign of terrestrial weathering as it’s probably been sitting on earth for thousands of years and getting wind swept in the desert 😅

Rocks A Lot

Feb 18, 2019
Peoria, IL
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Sounds like hornblende to me... Vibrates... Hornblende hit together can ring like a bell. It honestly looks like vitreous impactites to me. As after being heated, hornblende loses a lot of it's magnetism.

Fun fact that rock music originated from playing hornblende chimes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread