Unidentifiable type of rock,
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By RadRockee
  • 1 Post By RadRockee

Thread: Unidentifiable type of rock,

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Dec 2017
    4 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Lightbulb Unidentifiable type of rock,

Alright first I would like to say thank you for allowing me into this group as a new member, this is why I am here. I purchased this on EBay as a meteorite here is the problem. Several meteorite groups on Facebook with trained eyes have said this is not a meteorite it has no fusion crust how bla bla,however I have posted this is 5 other rock groups and have YET had anyone tell me what this could be. Is it a new kind of rock, a strange meteorite? I can see what I think myself is a very very thin fusion crust in my opinion, what is your opinion?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8043.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	1521955   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8044.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	1521956   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8007.PNG 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	1521957   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7909.PNG 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	1521959   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7937.JPG 
Views:	154 
Size:	1,022.5 KB 
ID:	1521961  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7883.PNG 
Views:	112 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	1521964  
    jeff of pa likes this.

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County, Pa.
    2 MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO's .......3 Garrett Pro Pointers…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... 2 Sovereign GT's
    38429 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Welcome ! Nice Hunk of Meteorite

Dec 2017
    4 times
    Odd from the others in the collection barely if at all magnetic, definitely a different one. I dropped it once on the marble floor and it started vibrating in my hand and then it cracked like it had a little earthquake I could feel the vibrations pulsing through my hand I thought it is very strange. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	met5 .jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	1521999 I got it really cheap but it seems to be reactive to getting cut so i'm a bit nervous to cutting it because I don't know what kind of rocks vibrate when you drop them on marble floors but it gave me a scare. You can see in the picture where it feel and the crack from the vibrations I got scared.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Drop.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	1522002
    jeff of pa likes this.

us
    Mar 2018
    North Carolina
    An old Fisher
    3 times
    Meteorites
    lol Thats a cool story! HaHA.. I will have to try that sometime with a couple of mine to see if they vibrate. It kind of makes sense if you think about it. If a rock / or / crystal has an unusual mix of solidified and or crystallized materials it could resonate in a unique manner when struck. Think of crystals used in "Crystal Radio Sets".

It does look like a meteorite at first glance and NWA (Northwest African) meteorites are very common. The climate out there is one of the best for meteorites and people go out digging and sifting all the time finding buckets full of them. As a buyer always do your research though. If it is sold as an Unclassified NWA meteorite that is one thing. Labeled and named meteorites are another. I know a guy who bought from a well known member of IMCA and it was a common NWA meteorite. I would imagine most IMCA members are good but again always do your research.

us
    Mar 2018
    North Carolina
    An old Fisher
    3 times
    Meteorites
    lol Thats a cool story! HaHA.. I will have to try that sometime with a couple of mine to see if they vibrate. It kind of makes sense if you think about it. If a rock / or / crystal has an unusual mix of solidified and or crystallized materials it could resonate in a unique manner when struck. Think of crystals used in "Crystal Radio Sets".

It does look like a meteorite at first glance and NWA (Northwest African) meteorites are very common. The climate out there is one of the best for meteorites and people go out digging and sifting all the time finding buckets full of them. As a buyer always do your research though. If it is sold as an Unclassified NWA meteorite that is one thing. Labeled and named meteorites are another. I know a guy who bought from a well known member of IMCA and it was a common NWA meteorite. I would imagine most IMCA members are good but again always do your research.

Nov 2017
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RadRockee View Post
    Alright first I would like to say thank you for allowing me into this group as a new member, this is why I am here. I purchased this on EBay as a meteorite here is the problem. Several meteorite groups on Facebook with trained eyes have said this is not a meteorite it has no fusion crust how bla bla,however I have posted this is 5 other rock groups and have YET had anyone tell me what this could be. Is it a new kind of rock, a strange meteorite? I can see what I think myself is a very very thin fusion crust in my opinion, what is your opinion?
    Definitely looks like a meteorite. I think I can see 1 chondrule in the close up pic, as well as the Veining which I could argue are hematite veins as oppose to “shock veins” as stated in the certificate. This occurs after many years on earth as terrestrial minerals will slowly creep into the meteorites. Also, the black crust is most likely desert varnish and NOT Fusion crust. Another sign of terrestrial weathering as it’s probably been sitting on earth for thousands of years and getting wind swept in the desert 😅

us
    Feb 2019
    Peoria, IL
    17 times
    Prospecting
    Sounds like hornblende to me... Vibrates... Hornblende hit together can ring like a bell. It honestly looks like vitreous impactites to me. As after being heated, hornblende loses a lot of it's magnetism.

Fun fact that rock music originated from playing hornblende chimes.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links