Micrometeorites? Magnified images.

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I am new to this. I am absolutely fascinated with meteorites. I just learned of micrometeorites. I’ve taken many samples in the past month from my downspouts and have concluded that the magnetic items I recovered were not meteorites. However, this time, I recovered a larger magnetic piece (about the size of a tick). I am curious on your expert opinion on it. Didn’t want to chuck it since it was a larger piece.

Could it be? Also, can you occasionally find even larger pieces in downspouts?

Thank you all!

BrettCo
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517774623.795745.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517774639.321774.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517774662.371769.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517774674.475281.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1517774713.493639.jpg

SpaceRocks

Greenie
Mar 12, 2018
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
An old Fisher
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Brettco, Its hard to tell from the images if it is a meteorite. Meteorites come in all shapes and sizes as you know so if there are more micro meteorites than rusted nails coming out of the down spouts then you have a better chance of it being one. You would need to test them to be sure but their size might not be worth the effort depending on your end goal.

This is a fun hobby to start with! I did this a while back and found some of the same kind of material ranging in sizes from the tip of a pencil lead to about half the size of a pencil eraser head. You can also run a powerful magnet around the ground near the runoff of the roof. Ultimately this is fun and a great place to get started!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread