From Philadelphia. How do I get started?

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

Just wondering how I could get started on a hunt for meteorites. I am not expecting to find much, but would like to keep an open eye out while doing other outdoor hobbies.

Do I need to be in a particular location to look for them? I’m by Philadelphia. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Not looking for your hotspots, just friendly advice. Thanks all.

BrettCo

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Start on the Internet. Google, Bing, "Pennsylvania Strewnfields", "Pennsylvania Meteorite falls", and so on.

Attachments

• Meteorites of Pennsylvania.jpg
    Meteorites of Pennsylvania.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 95

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a tip. You won't find them under tipped over cars or underneath the bodies of lifeless Patriots fans :laughing7:

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start on the Internet. Google, Bing, "Pennsylvania Strewnfields", "Pennsylvania Meteorite falls", and so on.

Thanks Terry. So, can you tell me why a strewn field is important to find? How common is it to successfully locate a meteorite?

For native artifact hunting, I know how to identify places they’ve lived, what they used, where to search, etc... how do you do that with things that fall from space? If I found a strewn field, is that the best bet to find them?

Final question, a few threads down, I posted about my attempts to find micrometeorites. No one has commented just yet, but I’d love feedback on that too, if possible.

Thanks all!

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
While I can’t help you find any meteorites.... I can say Congrats to you and your Eagles.:crybaby2:

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While I can’t help you find any meteorites.... I can say Congrats to you and your Eagles.:crybaby2:

Lol thank you. We’ve waited a long time for it. 2 million people will be in our city tomorrow morning.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Terry. So, can you tell me why a strewn field is important to find? How common is it to successfully locate a meteorite?

For native artifact hunting, I know how to identify places they’ve lived, what they used, where to search, etc... how do you do that with things that fall from space? If I found a strewn field, is that the best bet to find them?

Final question, a few threads down, I posted about my attempts to find micrometeorites. No one has commented just yet, but I’d love feedback on that too, if possible.

Thanks all!

When a larger meteor enters the atmosphere it usually explodes or breaks into small pieces. These pieces, or meteorites, are strewn across a wide area, known as a "strewnfield." The "Gold Basin Meteorite," left a strewnfield covering over 200-kilometers. Gold Basin meteorite strewn field, Mojave Desert, northwestern Arizona: Relic of a small late Pleistocene impact event - KRING - 2010 - Meteoritics & Planetary Science - Wiley Online Library

Here are a few of the Gold Basin meteorites I've recovered.

Attachments

• riteorwrong.jpg
    riteorwrong.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 66
OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When a larger meteor enters the atmosphere it usually explodes or breaks into small pieces. These pieces, or meteorites, are strewn across a wide area, known as a "strewnfield." The "Gold Basin Meteorite," left a strewnfield covering over 200-kilometers. Gold Basin meteorite strewn field, Mojave Desert, northwestern Arizona: Relic of a small late Pleistocene impact event - KRING - 2010 - Meteoritics & Planetary Science - Wiley Online Library

Here are a few of the Gold Basin meteorites I've recovered.

That’s incredible. Those are some great finds. And you think I can find them here in the suburbs of Philadelphia if I find strewnfields? I’m going to google it to see.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing pops up when I type in strewnfield and my location. Is it rare to find one?

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
To find a meteorite you have to like traveling. Meteorites have been falling on the Earth as long as the Earth has been. But meteorites, like gold, are where you find them. Usually I'd go where others have found them. A known strewnfield is the most likely place. There is such a thing as stumbling on one but don't bet on it. They are unpredictable in every way.
The first find in the Glorieta fall in New Mexico was found by a woman farmer in 1896 there abouts. She saw a black rock that was unusually heavy for it's size. Then others were found that developed a line of sight of probability of where more might be. They travel in a straight line downwards. The strewnfield can be quite wide when it falls apart. It's said the Glorieta fall was 1/4 mile wide. So that's where I go. Or did before I got hobbled.
Most are almost all iron so won't last long where air can get to them. If the plunge deep enough into the Earth they have a better chance. Also the higher amount of nickel can give them a stainless steel composition. A tad more resistant to rusting.
Have fun:)

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To find a meteorite you have to like traveling. Meteorites have been falling on the Earth as long as the Earth has been. But meteorites, like gold, are where you find them. Usually I'd go where others have found them. A known strewnfield is the most likely place. There is such a thing as stumbling on one but don't bet on it. They are unpredictable in every way.
The first find in the Glorieta fall in New Mexico was found by a woman farmer in 1896 there abouts. She saw a black rock that was unusually heavy for it's size. Then others were found that developed a line of sight of probability of where more might be. They travel in a straight line downwards. The strewnfield can be quite wide when it falls apart. It's said the Glorieta fall was 1/4 mile wide. So that's where I go. Or did before I got hobbled.
Most are almost all iron so won't last long where air can get to them. If the plunge deep enough into the Earth they have a better chance. Also the higher amount of nickel can give them a stainless steel composition. A tad more resistant to rusting.
Have fun:)

That’s so interesting. I’ll need to do more research around me. What do you think about the rooftop micrometeorites? I know they are so insanely small, but could it be possible that the downspouts contain larger meteorites after years and years of the house being there and the rain spouts being in the same location for all of those years?

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's an interactive map of the known Meteorite falls in the US.

Zoom in by drawing a box around the area you are interested in.

Click on the tool and then click on the symbols on the map to get details about each fall. :thumbsup:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread