Green Blue Meteorite ?

neysaau

Mar 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found years ago in eastern europe by my father. Found melted in crusted ( glassed ) sand. Impact? created heat and hollowing in the sand ? View attachment IMG_9647.jpg View attachment IMG_9647.jpg View attachment IMG_9649.jpg View attachment IMG_9649.jpg View attachment IMG_9651.jpg View attachment IMG_9652.jpg View attachment IMG_9653.jpg
Please see pictures. I will take any opinions.
Greetings !

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard neysaau! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does a magnet stick to it? Looks more convincing than most I've seen. Could b a nickel iron based one.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Not a meteorite. The blue-green color indicates copper based minerals in many cases. I have seen thousands of similarly colored and textured rocks across the western US.

Finally time for more coffee.

OP
OP
N

neysaau

Mar 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have pictures of the rocks you had seen ? were they " glazed" with glass as well ? This one was found melted in melted sand

SpaceRocks

Greenie
Mar 12, 2018
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
An old Fisher
Primary Interest:
Other
That looks a lot like several pieces I have. If it is the same thing there is some controversy as to exactly what it is.. They are being found in green, bluish, and now in yellow. They were first found about 10-15 years ago. To this day mineral dealers are still saying this is a "new" find. Some say it is a new tektite. Some are calling it "Malivite" (from Mali, Africa) not to be confused with MOLDAVITE! It is also being called "African Moldavite". The green ones look a lot like what is known as Gaia Stone.

I have spent hours researching both online and taking to a mineral dealer friend of mine. It is coming out of Mali, Africa. My source says they are being found 300-400 feet down in a Prenite mine. Online resources say that they are also seldom found in areas much further out near water. Geoligical testing shows this to be closer to a man made glass. Looking closer at the scientific aspects of SG (Specific Gravity) and RF (Refractive Index) shows it is slightly heaver than a natural Tektite (meteorite impact glass) and Obsidian (volcanic glass). If you are ever in the market for a rare or decent priced tektite you better know what you are looking at before you buy. This is part of what lead me to do the research.

This is where more of the controversy comes in. The people / culture of the area have a long history of working with glass and making glass beads (at least 1000 years). Looking very closely at the dozen or so pieces I have makes me think there are quite possibly two versions of this type of this glass on the market. I believe that some are real genuine prehistoric natural obsidian possibly mixed with tektite. The second kind being sold as the same thing and might contain obsidian but it is some form of man mad glass. Why do I believe this? Scientifically speaking these stones are too heavy to be a tektite.. But that does not mean millions of years ago when the earth was being pummeled by meteorites a few tektites did not get mixed in with some obsidian. Possibly a tektite? Letcheruites (natural worm-like inclusions of silica) have been found in these. Letcherites are one on the key factors in distinguishing a natural glass like fulgurite, obsidian, or tektite from a man made form of glass. Some of the pieces have the characteristics of obsidian, some have the look of tektites, and one I observed looked vaguely like a swirled marble! You have to look extremely close but I know what I saw. The ones I have are mostly a beautiful green color. After shining light through them one was yellow. A couple have very small yet distinct streaks of blue.

My friend along with references in the mineral discussion(s) seem to believe their sources are on the level and are not selling them worthless fake glass. I had a conversation with someone locally who was very much into mineralogy and her opinion was that these were some form of natural obsidian originating from closer to the earths core. Not way down but close enough when the earth was still undergoing great change with tectonic plates and all. She said that there was a type of obsidian that forms as a result from deep volcanic eruptions. This would explain why these are slightly heavier than traditional obsidian. Hopefully this helps a bit!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread