W

Wolf1979

Mar 29, 2018
Torrington C.T
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has the rusty orange redish patina to it....and it is really havy for its size could this be a meteorite anybody have any ideas....

OP
OP
W

Wolf1979

Mar 29, 2018
Torrington C.T
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has the rusty orange redish patina to it....and it is really havy for its size could this be a meteorite anybody have any ideas....

It also has black spots which look to me like fusion crust...it just seems preety old .....any one have a clue on this specimen....any replys would be appreciated thank you....

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it magnetic? If it is, take it to your local geo guy and have it looked at..

OP
OP
W

Wolf1979

Mar 29, 2018
Torrington C.T
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sad to say i dont have a magnet at this present moment ill have to buy one.... do u think it looks like one.....

OP
OP
W

Wolf1979

Mar 29, 2018
Torrington C.T
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sad to say i dont have a magnet at this present moment ill have to buy one.... do u think it looks like one.....

I read somewhere that as they fall down to earth they can take a bullet shape, well that makes sense lol i originally thought this could be a bullet ☺

OP
OP
W

Wolf1979

Mar 29, 2018
Torrington C.T
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i guess no one has
a clue to what this is ???

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
The problem here is that it is difficult to determine if a rock is a meteorite solely from a few images. It is far easier to determine if it is not.

Your item, which I will assume is metallic in nature, since you found it while metal detecting, displays no obvious signs of being a meteorite. Should it prove to hold a magnet, that alone will be meaningless. Many types of rock have enough iron to hold a magnet. Telling evidence would be the widmanstatten pattern, which occurs in most iron meteorites and some pallasites. Do a little research on this and how to properly cut and polish a portion of your rock.

If you continue to have interest in identifying meteorites, pick up a few guidebooks. I have several.

Time for more coffee. And a good ham sandwich.

OP
OP
W

Wolf1979

Mar 29, 2018
Torrington C.T
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem here is that it is difficult to determine if a rock is a meteorite solely from a few images. It is far easier to determine if it is not.

Your item, which I will assume is metallic in nature, since you found it while metal detecting, displays no obvious signs of being a meteorite. Should it prove to hold a magnet, that alone will be meaningless. Many types of rock have enough iron to hold a magnet. Telling evidence would be the widmanstatten pattern, which occurs in most iron meteorites and some pallasites. Do a little research on this and how to properly cut and polish a portion of your rock.

If you continue to have interest in identifying meteorites, pick up a few guidebooks. I have several.

Time for more coffee. And a good ham sandwich.

Ok thanks.......

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NOT a meteorite, sorry. This is an "Oriented" meteorite, found by my friend Frank Campagnano.

Attachments

• Frank's Meteorite.JPG
    Frank's Meteorite.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 90

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Terry has much more experience with meteorites than I. Without additional evidence, I would accept his opinion.

Still time for more coffee.

OP
OP
W

Wolf1979

Mar 29, 2018
Torrington C.T
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok thanks for everyones comments , ill settle for its not a meteorite, im going to grind a part of it and see what kind of. Metal it is at some point....but thanks everybody...☺

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've collected meteorites for 35 years, and I cannot determine what you have based on photos. But odds are it is not. The odds are always against it. Rather then show it to a geologist, because they study Earth rocks, not space rocks, show it to an experienced collector or planetary geologist, whose specialty is meteorites. It's easy to say no, because 99.9% of the time, they are not...

OP
OP
W

Wolf1979

Mar 29, 2018
Torrington C.T
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok thanks...... after i filed it i thought it looked crazy thats all but yea ill see if i can have someone look at it.....thanks

OP
OP
W

Wolf1979

Mar 29, 2018
Torrington C.T
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took a pic with a magnifying glass and light...the metal looks like it has design's in it what does everbody think....

OP
OP
W

Wolf1979

Mar 29, 2018
Torrington C.T
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've collected meteorites for 35 years, and I cannot determine what you have based on photos. But odds are it is not. The odds are always against it. Rather then show it to a geologist, because they study Earth rocks, not space rocks, show it to an experienced collector or planetary geologist, whose specialty is meteorites. It's easy to say no, because 99.9% of the time, they are not...

I took a pic of it magnetized....maybe u can see the metal a little better , just thought i would throw in a better pic of tge part i filed.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread