Possible stony iron meteorite?

Judyneed

Apr 4, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This rock has a very strong attraction to magnet. I destroyed 2 haxsaws trying to cut it. Thanks for your help. 20180125_063511_Film1.jpg 20180331_171615.jpg s 20180404_212847.jpg

Last edited:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
No, it is not a meteorite. The fact that a magnet sticks, however weakly or strongly, means that it has enough iron for a magnet to stick. Much of the crushed basalt in my driveway jumps to magnets, so I frequently discount that as an indicator, unless there are visual cluess, which your rock does not have.

Get yourself a few guidebooks on meteorites. I keep mine in the truck at all times. They come in helpful.

Almost past time for more coffee.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, you can sell it as a phallus, :thumbsup:

SpaceRocks

Greenie
Mar 12, 2018
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
An old Fisher
Primary Interest:
Other
Agreed. There are a lot of earth rocks with iron in them. The off tan color material looks like some form of quartz. You can find a lot on mindat.org about various metals, minerals, and the ones that are commonly found together. You can also look up more about the geology in your area. I got really excited about one I found thinking it was a meteorite.. I am still wondering because it has some characteristics of a possible stony iron. The thing is that some of the same crystals and minerals found in meteorites are also found here on earth. You really need to learn as much as possible to educate yourself.

Art_Blade

Jun 25, 2014
Warsaw
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Teknetics Omega 8000
White's VX3, V3i
DeTech SSP-2000PI, Garrett pinponter, Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try use concrete saw but very carefully. Good luck:icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions