Could this be a meteorite?

Bob2677

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this in Today's Finds and received some feedback but as I research it I think it might be a meteor. I know zilch about meteors but it has some of the properties of Eucrite meteors and the only images I have found on Google that have any surface similarities are possibly Martian in origin with "cross cutting veins and pockets of dark glass and moat-like cavities maskelynite grains". The surface looks fused and the underlying rock is pinkish, reddish. It weighs 9.2 oz (263 grams) and measures 3 x 2.5 x 2.25 in.
I found it about 8 years ago agate hunting on Lake Superior in the UP of Michigan. The final image is the one image of a meteor I found that seems to have some similarities. Thanks for your feedback! _52A3305.jpg _52A3311.jpg _52A3309.jpg _52A3319.jpg _52A3320.jpg _52A3334.jpg _52A3341.jpg _52A3345.jpg _52A3346.jpg nwa817_fecta.jpg

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
It does not have any resemblance to any meteorite I have ever seen.

I would advise taking it to any qualified professional that specializes in identification of meteorites.

Time for more coffee.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a really nice looking rock, however not a meteorite. Probably sedimentary with the softer minerals weathered away from the lines from the harder, more dense minerals.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prehistoric vegetation imprint ?

OP
OP
B

Bob2677

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was my first impression. Does anyone ever remember seeing anything like it before? It seems that there would be other similar specimens around. I have not found anything similar in many Google searches. In the other forum someone sent the images to a geologist and they said they had never seen anything like it.
I've started calling it the dragon stone because of the second photo. Game of Thrones stone maybe.

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a look at some Meteorite cross sections and you will see some with similar patterns internally that kinda mimic what you are seeing on the surface of this object. Definitely have it checked out professionally at either a university or a museum which may have resources to do so. Either way its a Great find.. Keep us posted.

OP
OP
B

Bob2677

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will, thanks.
I emailed a geology professor at a local university and he said it was unusual and that he had noidea what it was and offered to run some tests and discuss it with his colleagues.

buck8point

Apr 22, 2018
Iberville Parish, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250 / Garrett AT Max /
Garrett Pro Pointer / Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will, thanks.
I emailed a geology professor at a local university and he said it was unusual and that he had noidea what it was and offered to run some tests and discuss it with his colleagues.

Outstanding... Keep us in the loop, very interested to hear what they find.

s2ndjetli

Apr 25, 2018
Summit County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
If im not mistakin Lake Superior was known for there ship movements back in the day.. hence the Edmund Fitzgerald with iron ore pellets and such.. this is a really neat piece with "interesting" designs or........ I cant wait for the updates on this.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm bumping this thread. This rock, or whatever it is, fascinates me. I'd like others to see it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread