Very rare find! Martian?

andrewarena

Oct 13, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found bushwalking, stood out like dogs ba**s. Clear fresh rind/crust, little thumb prints with early rust spots on surface.
Passes steak test, magnetically moderate too low. No quartz found.
The interior has a modern stone bench top look under 0.5mm magnification. Peppered with a mildly olivine too diamond looking crystal scattering within a white fine cement like matrix.
((P.s whitenesed landing fire ball with no sound 3 weeks earlier, been searching within co ordnante landing site area. I live in a subtropical climate) coincedence most obviously))

BDBF6CA3-A696-4834-AEE5-40DFADD96B8B.jpeg
0E4884D6-FBA4-4BA0-BA87-2F01F02CA0BF.jpeg C949618E-A2CB-4074-867B-FDF02FC3BE26.jpeg C230E84B-FC1D-43E1-BE14-2F6A9762FFC5.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
andrewarena

andrewarena

Oct 13, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any thoughts? I can upload more pics, I Own a l6 chrondrite and 30 gram Caynan dipablo iron,
This stone I’m showing is impossible for this area, The natural stones commonly found here are hematite/magnetite ore shale and sandstone conglomerates? Is this stone familiar to anyone here? Please?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terrestrial. :occasion14:

OP
OP
andrewarena

andrewarena

Oct 13, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terrestrial. :occasion14:
It’s real and rare. But better to be conservative than make to many wrong calls.
I really just got lucky, I asked what terrestrial rock it looked like with the photos alone and they said an olivine bomb. (Logically safe call)
But don’t throw away all self called meteorongs use your gut feeling and just store them for professional testing one day, you may be very surprised! :occasion14:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
May I ask who verified your specimen?:occasion14:

OP
OP
andrewarena

andrewarena

Oct 13, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ross Pogson, senior mineralogist of the Australian museum (sydney)

OP
OP
andrewarena

andrewarena

Oct 13, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And as I said, he only performed a nickel test then confirming it IS a chrondrule free meteorite which he picked from his eye before that anyway. with a 50/50 chance of being a type of planetary basalt object, I turned down chipping off a few grams for Friday testing, as I’d rather bring back the whole specimen on Monday so they can carry out the final test while I’m there. :icon_thumleft:

chub

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2017
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Soveriegn XS 2
Nokta pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im no expert but it looks fairly convincing. Terry what makes you think its terrestrial? Are you in Qld Andrew? I think us Aussies are the only one who calls it Bushwalking...

Chub

Art_Blade

Jun 25, 2014
Warsaw
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Teknetics Omega 8000
White's VX3, V3i
DeTech SSP-2000PI, Garrett pinponter, Minelab ProFind 35
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry but rock surface doesn't look like a meteorite. It's shiny and I couldn't find streamlets on surface. If I can suggest, try to cut it and show cross section. We will see...

ali1

Dec 4, 2015
جدة
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry .. this is not a meteor! There is a layer of yellow color between the base stone and the crust of combustion .. There are 3 layers on the surface .. This is usually not in the meteorites .. Must be only two layers .. Stone layer and a layer of burning of the same stone .. For any reason this piece fell From the sky .. But it fell from inside the atmosphere and not from outside .. I may be wrong, but my analysis was to see him in pictures .. And pictures deception mostly .. Greetings to you.

Lonewanderer

Tenderfoot
Nov 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry but rock surface doesn't look like a meteorite. It's shiny and I couldn't find streamlets on surface. If I can suggest, try to cut it and show cross section. We will see...

Typically achondrites have a “shiny” fusion crust.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting

Vladimir bvm

Greenie
Aug 29, 2017
Bryansk
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On the first photo there are interesting colors, I have a stone with similar shades when light is refracted.
DSCF0985.JPG

Art_Blade

Jun 25, 2014
Warsaw
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Teknetics Omega 8000
White's VX3, V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It looks like a basalt. Shape and inside is typical.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
And as I said, he only performed a nickel test then confirming it IS a chrondrule free meteorite which he picked from his eye before that anyway. with a 50/50 chance of being a type of planetary basalt object, I turned down chipping off a few grams for Friday testing, as I’d rather bring back the whole specimen on Monday so they can carry out the final test while I’m there. :icon_thumleft:

So how did that test turn out?

Michelle S

Greenie
Sep 4, 2018
ROME, Georgia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one that looks very close to that one. I'm trying to recall the correct I.d. bc I kinda thought the same thing about mine yrs ago. Can I ask you if the "olivine crystals" are dark yellow to orange in tint? I will locate mine to compare in a few If you would like.

Art_Blade

Jun 25, 2014
Warsaw
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Teknetics Omega 8000
White's VX3, V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your findings are looking like flints

Top Member Reactions