Trying to Identify, Found Metal Dececting

P42ALPHA

May 27, 2018
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found about 3 inchs down. It is metallic on the left side of the picture, but not the right. It is not magnetic though. Also it weighs 22 grams, 6 cm long, 4cm wide. IMG_20180527_111145476.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

P42ALPHA

May 27, 2018
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a hunk of Leaverite.

This is the first rock/natural item i have ever found metal detecting, and do not really know much about geology. If you were in the room while i was looking at pictures of leaverite wondering how you thought it was that kind of rock/rocks, when i realize what the term meant. Would have been worth the confused look on my face :)

TY for the reply, now someday if a person explains to me in the field I found a leaverite. It will save myself a really embarrassing time :)

edit: to be fair to myself, in my head i was pronouncing it leaver-ite. lol

Last edited:

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in Virginia there are lots of "hot rocks" that make the detector sound off. One colonial site that I hunt, most of the targets are hot rocks, otherwise known as leaverites. I bring some of them home too.

OP
OP
P

P42ALPHA

May 27, 2018
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is really cool, thank you. I bet this is one of them. Guess i know what ill be doing a lot of research on tonight!!!!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is almost surely scoria basalt. :occasion14:

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found coke from a smelter operation that for some reason sets off the metal detector. It is like some base metal was absorbed by the smelting operation. This was in the Cripple Creek area and always a frustration.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions