Metal meteorite?

MeteHunt

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. I'm new one on this forum. My main hobby is hunting of coins and relics with a metal detector and I've been doing this for last 12 years. And this is the very first time when I found something that looks like a meteorite, so would be very grateful for some help with identification.

Some facts about the rock:

- place where it was found - Eastern part of Belarus (Europe);
- was found with metal detector (dug out) at a depth of 30 centimeters (12 inch);
- metal detector detects it like nonferrous metal;
- it's very heavy (density maybe like lead), if necessary I can try to calculate;
- non-magnetic with ordinary magnet but becomes slightly magnetic with very powerful neodymium magnet;
- solid but can by filed with good rasp-file (look at the pictures)

Thanks in advance!

IMG_9954.JPG IMG_9953.JPG IMG_9952.JPG IMG_9951.JPG IMG_9950.JPG IMG_9956.JPG IMG_9964.JPG IMG_9962.JPG IMG_9961.JPG

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have it examined by a geologist at your local university. :occasion14:

Rick K

Jan 3, 2007
Gold Canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
ML SDC-2300, Fisher F-75, XP Deus,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very heavy? Perhaps a tungsten fragment of armor piercing projectile from the Great Patriotic War. Conductivity of tungsten is about 28% of that of silver (or so the web said).

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I am going to say no. A metallic meteorite will normally have enough ferrous metal for any common magnet to easily
stick. With no other evidence than what you have presented, including images, I am going to say slag.

To help prove me wrong, please follow Terry’s advice and have it examined by a qualified professional. If you do not have one nearby, have someone smooth and polish the surface you exposed. If this is a meteorite, a widmanstatten pattern should be evident.

When I did lapidary, back in the stone ages, I cut and polished many suspected meteorites for folks. Well over 95% were not meteorites. Every one of the winners had the widmanstatten pattern present to some degree, typically visible during polishing.

Time for more coffee.

stonecutter1

Apr 25, 2011
Shawnee, KS
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Whites MXT,Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks interesting, it appears to have some fusion crusting. Maybe a stone meteorite with a low iron content?? I would definitely have it tested.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread