Eureka Springs, Meteorite?

Michael Love

Greenie
Aug 2, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stumbled over this piece in Eureka Springs. It weighs 74.5 g and appears to contain Farringtonite. A zoom shows an intricate composition. My recent Google meteorite education has went as far as it goes. Would love to get some experienced opinions.

20180801_103019.jpg (

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No one can tell you using these pictures. It does NOT look like a meteorite. I suggest you have your local college geologist look at it. :occasion14:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I was a betting man, my money would be on slag. It doesn't look like any pics I have seen of meteorites.

OP
OP
M

Michael Love

Greenie
Aug 2, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Terry and Kray. I guess I could send it to the lab in Maine. For $25 they can tell me it isn't a meteorite. Lol. Kray mentioned slag, and indeed there were old foundries in Eureka Springs. The town was founded in 1850 and in 1890 Eureka Springs was Arkansas' 4th largest city with over 5,000 residents. We do have 2 colleges near me, Hendrix and UCA. Maybe I'll try to get in touch with the geology department and ask them to take a look.

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where is the lab in Maine ?

OP
OP
M

Michael Love

Greenie
Aug 2, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After looking at iron slag online, I am now 99.9% sure that I have a chunk of 150 year old Eureka Springs, Arkansas iron slag. I Googled up some slag pics that I was able to zoom on, and a couple of pieces were a near exact match to my souvenir piece of civil war era foundry slag. My beautiful 74.5 gram near worthless chunk of slag has the minute pit holes and everything else that meteors do not possess. Still, a great nostalgic vacation piece for the mantle. :award_star_bronze_1

Thanks Kray for pointing me in the right direction. :occasion14: I'm fine knowing what it is...Not knowing was bugging me to no end.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Michael Love

Greenie
Aug 2, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the way, Great Forum! I'm a treasure hunter of sorts in that I am a yard sale junkie and have been for years. My eye is always out for that thing I've never seen. I have gathered some cool pieces I'll post up along the way. I'll definitely stick around the forum. Obviously a good knowledge level here. Glad I found the forum!

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ML, my dubious pleasure. My slag journey began a few years ago when I found my first meteorwrong with my metal detector. It was slag of course, but had me going for a bit. Good luck.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You're right, the little vesicles would not be found in the real deal. BTW, New England Meteoritical Services is in Massachusetts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread