Possible Impacted Slab or What?

Derk

Sep 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello and Greetings, my newfound forum friends!! I am excited to be here and very glad to have finally found you.

For my 1st unidentified geofact posting, I want to see if anyone besides myself shares the opinion that this slab of rock I found in a creek was possibly the impact site of a small meteoroid. You'll note a well defined crater with cracks or stress fractures of some kind emanating from it.

20130223_143804.jpg

20130223_143813.jpg

20130223_143826.jpg

I know it is not a meteorong because I never thought i could be a meteorite, but if it was not at least caused BY a meteorite, then what on Earth could cause something like this to happen to a slab of stone in North Central Indiana?

Thanks for reading. I appreciate all of your thoughts and ideas on this.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure looks like a impact to me.

OP
OP
Derk

Derk

Sep 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well that's just it. I don't know what caused the fractures. I just found it like this with a crater already melted out of it.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I have seen similar structures in sandstone, limestone, and other sedimentary stone. I have to agree with Clay on this. Not a meteoritic impact.

Time for more coffee.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That there is a dino dropping! That turned to stone. :dontknow:

I'm joking!!! I have no clue but looks cool!

Nov 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
Other
Probably Indian Mortar, Looks like it was made to be somewhat portable? The rocks around it look somewhat like crude pistels.? Probably used to ground maze into corn meal and other things. Would explain some of the smooth surfaces. Indian probably went down to the creek to wash it out and forgot it.

They might of been using it to grind some bitter herbal medicine, and "fouled" the Mortar up for corn meal.

Stick your finger in the hole dig around and taste.

"Scratch That" It ain't worth the giardia. You should take the mortar and pistols to a local university and ask if they want to analyze it for kicks. Lab Analysis might be interesting if University is willing.

Notice any sweet flag or natural cannabis. tobacco, acorn bearing trees growing nearby?

If it was me I would dig, taste, and spit. Save a lot of travel and time.

https://www.warpaths2peacepipes.com/history-of-native-americans/history-of-indiana-indians.htm

https://www.manataka.org/page1388.html

you should probably get in touch with this guy

http://info.esg.adec-innovations.co...al-surveys-the-mystery-behind-bedrock-mortars

Are you able to move the slab? If so then my theory stands.

North Central Indiana?

good luck

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread