Help please!

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
20181006_115115.jpg 20181006_115128.jpg
Hello, I hang out at the artifacts forum but am curious about these 2 rocks. I've been told they are meteorites but I have no knowledge about what could be real or just a rock. They are dense & heavy for their size but a magnet does not attach to them. Any info from you experts would be appreciated!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They do not appear to be meteorites. However, I - nor anyone else, can really judge by looking at your photos. Call your local University's Geology department, and ask if the professor might have time to look at the specimens. Good Luck!:hello2:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As of 2013, there had been 5 meteorites found in Florida, EVER. So, the odds are against you. The green oxidation may indicate copper ore or slag perhaps.

Rocks A Lot

Feb 18, 2019
Peoria, IL
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Image doesn't show classic markings. As in surface ablation by melting. They do look basalt like and basalt can have olivine pockets. My personal venture would be to polish on them. I'm sure there's someone willing to polish on them cheaply. This way you can better see into the specimen.

My personal experience hasn't been good with Universities or Geological Survey places. They often ask for donation of specimens or just steal them. I've had extremely valuable specimens stolen by this process, so be very clear in understanding the process and make sure you have evidence of sending specimens off. I had the geological survey lie about destroying specimens. I know cause they showed it to other people I knew long after. A rare find is a rare find, so always take caution when dealing with anyone. I did trust the Smithsonian, but they no longer take specimens.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread