Curious of your thoughts

tomsneck

Feb 15, 2007
marthas vineyard
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt
Found this a few years back it is magnetic but not super strong. Found with a bunch of others rocks of the same nature on the edge of a salt water bay ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549047881.824163.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549047901.812945.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549047914.003516.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1549047924.715823.jpg . Thanks for the look. I have more if u want pics

OP
OP
tomsneck

tomsneck

Feb 15, 2007
marthas vineyard
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt
Yes hence the magnet sticking to it. Is there any reason for the crystalline structure towards the melted crust anyone could speak to?

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if I know you, I have a lot of friends and hunt (detect) and fish a bit where you are. A bunch of that stuff has been found there, I have seen it showed to me by several other people. A friend of mine on island has told me that samples had been sent to a prominent university and the samples like you show are not in fact meteorites. You can PM me if you'd like to know the guys who have shown me a lot of that stuff.

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, that's just waste slag from iron refineries, often used as landfill material.

Rocks A Lot

Feb 18, 2019
Peoria, IL
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't get me wrong though, in no way am I saying it's impossible to find a placer deposit rich in them. Just the likely hood of doing so is rarer than winning the lottery. Thought I would add that to give perspective.

Another perspective is I've seen impactites around old deep impact sites. Enough to fill semi after semi... So that's not uncommon and is pretty much useless except for studying the site and structure. I'd be checking maps for sites if basic testing led me to believe otherwise and start the research process. However arguing a point with someone with credentials is next to impossible as they don't like to admit when they're wrong, however I did manage to acquire a pile of apology letters from the Smithsonian. :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions