Can someone PLEASE HELP is this a metorite? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Can someone PLEASE HELP is this a metorite?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Jun 2019
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I continue to explore the channel of the mountain river and here is another find! does it look like a typical chondrite meteorite?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	met9.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	728.2 KB 
ID:	1729168

Name:	met10.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	2.19 MB 
ID:	1729169

Name:	met12.png 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.21 MB 
ID:	1729180

remnants of a charred crust?

Name:	met13.png 
Size:	602.4 KB 
ID:	1729183

Name:	met11.png 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	1729170
    Last edited by Anyan; Jul 03, 2019 at 12:43 PM.

Charter Member
    us
    Martiobarbuli

May 2012
    Wyoming
    White's
    1828 times
    Alwayslooking2, I also think what you have is a piece of slag, or possibly a somewhat enriched and reduced chunk of iron ore from the middle of the process between raw ore and finished iron/steel. I found some of the latter from a WW2 era iron ore processing experiment locally but i don't know how widespread it was and slag is certainly common and often magnetic.

Anyan, I believe that your pieces are something like vesicular Basalt or another bubbly igneous rock which is made via volcanic activity, with the pale stone "amygdules" representing a secondary deposition of quartz or calcite in the cavities.
    alan m likes this.

Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Plumbata View Post
    Anyan, I believe that your pieces are something like vesicular Basalt or another bubbly igneous rock which is made via volcanic activity, with the pale stone "amygdules" representing a secondary deposition of quartz or calcite in the cavities.
    I suppose that all the stones in the Universe are similar, because they are formed from primary dust in the process of forming stars and planets (high temperatures and pressure - I have a stone that is half sandstone and half already granite)

However, there are ways to distinguish a meteorite from a stone of terrestrial origin, such as the charring bark and the internal structure of the stone, etd.

The stone presented by me has signs of high-temperature exposure as a result of which it became very fragile and durable. The white quartz preserved inside has signs of boiling up. Therefore, we can assume that on the surface of the stone, interspersed quartz evaporated and formed holes.

Blots of quartz inside the stone either acquired a special, fluffy structure or turned into steam and burst out, creating holes from the inside to the surface.

Also, black inclusions are visible inside the stone - presumably coal from burnt quartz.

Is it possible to create a similar stone in the earth`s conditions? I think not - the rocks of volcanic activity, vesicular Basalt etd. are completely different and are easily determined by known signs.

Is it possible to create a similar stone in space? Yes, quite simply - a stone flying at high speed near the Sun will be warmed to the desired temperature and will not fall into the Sun.

Name:	Met2.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	435.4 KB 
ID:	1729413
    Last edited by Anyan; Jul 04, 2019 at 01:30 PM.

us
    Jan 2012
    Rhode Island
    3174 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by Anyan View Post
    Thank you very much for your response! Logically, the only way to create a bubbly surface structure of a stone is if he flies close to the Sun - the Sun warms he to a boiling state and at the same time it remains a stone and retains its shape.

On Earth, it is impossible to repeat - only in space you can create something similar, since gravity does not change its shape and contact with other stones does not transform it.
    Well, I don't know where you came up with these statements, but there is absolutely no truth to them at all. None whatsoever.
    Joe-Dirt likes this.

Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Charl View Post
    Well, I don't know where you came up with these statements, but there is absolutely no truth to them at all. None whatsoever.
    ok then tell me what happens to the stone that flies close the sun? How will it look after heating in space?

Jun 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Charl View Post
    And one more thing - if it is an ordinary stone, find the same one !!! (someone) Well this is not difficult, right?

Jun 2019
    43 times
    Quote Originally Posted by xr7ator View Post
    If the first one is a meteorite I have some rocks I need to get checked out that I thought were slag or iron ore.
    Looking forward to any update, Alwayslooking2.
    I took it to get checked and YES IT IS A METEORITE IM SO EXCITED!!!!

Jun 2019
    43 times
    Thank You everyone for the help

us
    Sep 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
    3047 times
    Who told you or where did you take it to have analyzed? Congratulations! Hope I have one!

Charter Member
    us
    Ethan

Apr 2019
    North Eastern Kentucky
    My dads Whites MXT
    13193 times
    Relic Hunting
    It might be Hematite.
    alan m likes this.
    "The Army of Northern Virginia was never defeated. It merely wore itself out whipping the enemy." - Jubal Early

"We'll fight them, sir, till hell freezes over, and then, sir, we'll fight them on ice" - Unknown Confederate soldier

Bullets wanted! http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/tr...ml#post6272084

us
    Jul 2011
    Gold canyon AZ
    946 times
    Cache Hunting
    The fracture lines look wrong, did you use a regular magnet or a very strong rare earth magnet? It makes a difference unless the meteorite is an iron, in which as I stated, the fracture lines look wrong.
    one for sure way to tell is to cut a piece off, or grind and polish a flat surface of it, then etch it with nitric acid and look for widmastatten pattern.
    unfortunately, most people who actually know how to grade a meteorite are usually to busy to do it, as some of the test are time consuming in the case of a stony, or stony iron meteorite, can be quite complicated, i.e. nickel test and reflectance test.
    Some books are dangerous, not to be opened with impunity.
    Not everything that can be counted, counts
    Not everything that counts, can be counted

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links