Can someone PLEASE HELP is this a metorite?

Alwayslooking2

Jun 21, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found yhis in missouri and it sticks to a magnet. 20190624_012355.jpg 20190624_012345.jpg

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks good to me, but I am definitely no expert.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Visible characteristics show potential. From here, to verify it a meteorite, have it evaluated by a qualified professional. There may be someone in Geology or Earth Sciences at a local college who could help with that.

Time for more coffee.

Anyan

Greenie
Jun 28, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok, but how can you explain these holes on the surface? I am well acquainted with the types of stones in my area, but I see such a stone for the first time

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Visually, your rock has no characteristics of meteorites.

Your rock was once part of a seabed with an abundance of shells. Most of the holes are where shells used to be. Most of the white flecks are fossilized shells.

Doubts? Take it to a geologist.

Time for more coffee.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
If the first one is a meteorite I have some rocks I need to get checked out that I thought were slag or iron ore.
Looking forward to any update, Alwayslooking2.

Anyan

Greenie
Jun 28, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@galenrog - Thank you very much for your opinion. However, the white blotches are quartz. What do yellow blotches I do not know, what is it, but my stone is absolutely similar to this chondrite meteorite from the market:

MysteryRock.jpg
( http://www.meteoritemarket.com/NWA7402.htm )

in my region of the Eastern Carpathians, there are no stones with shells

Wikipedia:
Chondrites are stony (non-metallic) meteorites that have not been modified due to melting or differentiation of the parent body.[1][2] They are formed when various types of dust and small grains that were present in the early solar system accreted to form primitive asteroids.

I made a more one detailed video https://youtu.be/YKsi6tVqpn4?t=213
Strukture of hondrit meteorite.png

Met2.png
met6.png
black spots looks like coal, which is typical of chondrite meteorites

one more confirmed photo of meteorite:

met3.png
and my version with a surface polished in a river:
met4.png

Last edited:

Anyan

Greenie
Jun 28, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
met8.png
March 24, 1857 in the farm Shvedino Petrovsky parish Novogrigorevskogo county of the Stavropol province almost a peasant Maxim Kalashnikov fell on a stone from the sky. Since then, the meteorite has been studied, described and is now stored in the Meteorite Collection of the Russian Academy of Sciences.

The meteorite-chondrite weighs 1500 grams, 132 mm long, 93 mm wide, 66 mm high. Dark olive, stone surface with metallic inclusions, magnetized.

His name is "Stavropol".

Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Could it be a stone meteorite?

The fact that your stone has vesicles on the surface is a red flag. Meteorites do not display vesicles. That said, I cannot tell you what rock type your stone is, but I have collected both fossils and meteorites for many decades, and I don't believe the holes or vesicles contained fossil shells at any time. But, that is very clearly not a meteorite.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The fact that your stone has vesicles on the surface is a red flag. Meteorites do not display vesicles. That said, I cannot tell you what rock type your stone is, but I have collected both fossils and meteorites for many decades, and I don't believe the holes or vesicles contained fossil shells at any time. But, that is very clearly not a meteorite.

Well, I'll have to stand corrected. An extremely tiny percentage of meteorites show vesicular crust:

Vesicles in Meteorites

With that said, you would need to submit a sample to a lab recognized by the Meteoritical Society. The answer you desire cannot be provided to you based on photos.

Anyan

Greenie
Jun 28, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I'll have to stand corrected. An extremely tiny percentage of meteorites show vesicular crust:

Vesicles in Meteorites

With that said, you would need to submit a sample to a lab recognized by the Meteoritical Society. The answer you desire cannot be provided to you based on photos..

Thank you very much for your response! Logically, the only way to create a bubbly surface structure of a stone is if he flies close to the Sun - the Sun warms he to a boiling state and at the same time it remains a stone and retains its shape.

On Earth, it is impossible to repeat - only in space you can create something similar, since gravity does not change its shape and contact with other stones does not transform it.

Last edited:

Anyan

Greenie
Jun 28, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and I don't believe the holes or vesicles contained fossil shells at any time.

I completely agree - firstly, the shape of the holes is not similar to the shape of the shells, and secondly, where would they go from inside the stone?

Anyan

Greenie
Jun 28, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I continue to explore the channel of the mountain river and here is another find! does it look like a typical chondrite meteorite?
met9.png
met10.png
met12.png

remnants of a charred crust?
met13.png
met11.png

Last edited:

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alwayslooking2, I also think what you have is a piece of slag, or possibly a somewhat enriched and reduced chunk of iron ore from the middle of the process between raw ore and finished iron/steel. I found some of the latter from a WW2 era iron ore processing experiment locally but i don't know how widespread it was and slag is certainly common and often magnetic.

Anyan, I believe that your pieces are something like vesicular Basalt or another bubbly igneous rock which is made via volcanic activity, with the pale stone "amygdules" representing a secondary deposition of quartz or calcite in the cavities.

Anyan

Greenie
Jun 28, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyan, I believe that your pieces are something like vesicular Basalt or another bubbly igneous rock which is made via volcanic activity, with the pale stone "amygdules" representing a secondary deposition of quartz or calcite in the cavities.
I suppose that all the stones in the Universe are similar, because they are formed from primary dust in the process of forming stars and planets (high temperatures and pressure - I have a stone that is half sandstone and half already granite)

However, there are ways to distinguish a meteorite from a stone of terrestrial origin, such as the charring bark and the internal structure of the stone, etd.

The stone presented by me has signs of high-temperature exposure as a result of which it became very fragile and durable. The white quartz preserved inside has signs of boiling up. Therefore, we can assume that on the surface of the stone, interspersed quartz evaporated and formed holes.

Blots of quartz inside the stone either acquired a special, fluffy structure or turned into steam and burst out, creating holes from the inside to the surface.

Also, black inclusions are visible inside the stone - presumably coal from burnt quartz.

Is it possible to create a similar stone in the earth`s conditions? I think not - the rocks of volcanic activity, vesicular Basalt etd. are completely different and are easily determined by known signs.

Is it possible to create a similar stone in space? Yes, quite simply - a stone flying at high speed near the Sun will be warmed to the desired temperature and will not fall into the Sun.

Met2.png

Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you very much for your response! Logically, the only way to create a bubbly surface structure of a stone is if he flies close to the Sun - the Sun warms he to a boiling state and at the same time it remains a stone and retains its shape.

On Earth, it is impossible to repeat - only in space you can create something similar, since gravity does not change its shape and contact with other stones does not transform it.

Well, I don't know where you came up with these statements, but there is absolutely no truth to them at all. None whatsoever.

Anyan

Greenie
Jun 28, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I don't know where you came up with these statements, but there is absolutely no truth to them at all. None whatsoever.

ok :) then tell me what happens to the stone that flies close the sun? How will it look after heating in space?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread