Iron Find, Possible Meteorite or weathered object?

Aug 15, 2019
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks in advance for any input and opinion on what this may be. I found this while landscaping laying mulch, as we were emptying a trailer load of it into wheelbarrows. I heard a "ding" on my shovel and immediately investigated only to find this oddly intriguing stone.
~7cm^3 volume : 54g weight : ~7.8g/cm^3 density
I thought it may be a ball bearing or something of the like that went through a woodchipper, however, a geological sample prepper I showed it to assured me it is not, although he is also puzzled as to what it is. It shows peculiar signs of shaping origin under rotation, as it's circular dimension is complimented by a perpendicular elliptical dimension, I hypothesize, whatever it came from, discharged it as a molten sphere with intense rotational energy, causing a centrifugal deformation about one axis, similar to that of the rear wheels of a drag racing car. I know the surface appears too rough to be deemed a meteorite, but I have no better idea of how this could have formed or what man-made object it could be. All suggestion and insight from the novice enthusiast to the expert researcher is appreciated - happy hunting PhotoEditor_20190411_000653787.jpg 2019-03-21 01.00.49.jpg 20190410_150200.jpg 20190410_150225.jpg

Last edited:

On3

Tenderfoot
Aug 12, 2019
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have something similar. It's stone but magnetic. Found at a granite quarry. 20190816_125824.jpg

OP
OP

Aug 15, 2019
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very similar in shape for sure. That's a neat color. Very interesting it's magnetic

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does it seem light for its size?, lighter then iron maybe?

OP
OP

Aug 15, 2019
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine is definitely iron... the latter looks like it would be lighter

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So here we are. This is a great country. All our needs are met, we don't need to spend our days seeking food, or shelter, or security. Someone, whose life is filled with empty time, took a chuck of iron, and a cutting torch, a sculpted this chunk into a ball-like shape...for whatever reason. It doesn't matter. Then another group of people with nothing to do debate how or why this happened.

As Galenrog would say, time for more coffee.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I am with Kray on this one. It has no visible characteristics of meteorites, and does have characteristics similar to iron objects found near mining, rail, and logging maintenance areas. While definitive identification can not be made on images alone, I am guessing either a bored iron monger, welder or machinist made an iron or steel ball. Crude, but still interesting to those who come 100+ years later.

I could be proven wrong. That means, however, that you would need a physical evaluation by a qualified professional.

Time for more coffee.

OP
OP

Aug 15, 2019
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol time for more coffee. Thanks for the opinion. I am also on the fence with this. Hmm

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Test it with dimethylgloximine,
this a test for the presence of nickel, it it shows positive, there is a high probability that what you have is a meteorite.

OP
OP

Aug 15, 2019
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet I will give that a shot. I'll look up the process and share results when completed. I appreciate the info

OP
OP

Aug 15, 2019
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ordered the dimethylgloximine. Supposed to arrive between September 4 and 16 so won't have update until around then.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Ordered the dimethylgloximine. Supposed to arrive between September 4 and 16 so won't have update until around then.
When you get ready to test, try to grind off some sample material using only a silicon carbide wheel, then test the material, the issue is the possibility of nickel contamination from the method of cutting, what I have used successfully is a Dremel tool with a cutting wheel.
Good luck and looking forward to reading your results.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many smart people on here but without testing it or having a professional look at it in hand I mean theres so much floating around in space we dont know the half of what's out the

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
So here we are. This is a great country. All our needs are met, we don't need to spend our days seeking food, or shelter, or security. Someone, whose life is filled with empty time, took a chuck of iron, and a cutting torch, a sculpted this chunk into a ball-like shape...for whatever reason. It doesn't matter. Then another group of people with nothing to do debate how or why this happened.

As Galenrog would say, time for more coffee.

Yes, we organize and cooperate our need to work and survive so we have time for wonderment.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread