What is this heavy dark rock

oldbattleaxe

May 26, 2010
I had purchased a large box of petrified wood, geodes, and some small unusual rocks. This rock had caught my attention since it was very heavy for its size. A large magnet will not stick to it. I dangled a small magnet near it and it barely moves to the rock. There looks to be specs of iron or nickel all over it. I used a file on a small edge and it will not do much to it.

Attachments

• DSC03144.JPG
    DSC03144.JPG
    841.7 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC03137.JPG
    DSC03137.JPG
    824.6 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC03142.JPG
    DSC03142.JPG
    742.3 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC03082.JPG
    DSC03082.JPG
    599.8 KB · Views: 59

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not a meteorite. Looks like Petrified wood.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Petrified wood would not attract a magnet, correct?

" A large magnet will not stick to it. I dangled a small magnet near it and it barely moves to the rock."

You can magnetize almost any rock enough to "barely" move a small magnet. Could be shale with some mica in it. It is terrestrial though.

BloodMoon

Mar 7, 2019
Gilbert, Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have you done a streak test? Scratch it vigorously on the unglazed side of a tile or you can even sometimes do it underneath your toilet seat. Does it leave any streak at all?

I had purchased a large box of petrified wood, geodes, and some small unusual rocks. This rock had caught my attention since it was very heavy for its size. A large magnet will not stick to it. I dangled a small magnet near it and it barely moves to the rock. There looks to be specs of iron or nickel all over it. I used a file on a small edge and it will not do much to it.

OP
OP
oldbattleaxe

oldbattleaxe

May 26, 2010
If it left a black streak, it’s most likely magnetite. In fact from the looks of it as well I think there’s a 99.9% chance it is. It dormant seem to be slag. Not a meteorite though.
Thanks for all of the help forum. SOLVED

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If you measure the angles of your specimen, you will see that it has a cubic structure, you can do this with any terrestrial rock if it has an angle resulting from a break.
meteorites usually do not exhibit any geometric structure, so a specimen which exhibits nice angles is not a meteorite.
but, as the disclaimer goes, there are some which came from Mars which could have such a structure since Mars formed similar to Earth. There seems to be an exception with everything, keep looking, they are out there. :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread