Rule #1 for a Leaverite? Pick 'er Up, Take Home, Get Pics n Post in Meteorite Forum??

Derk

Sep 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or was that the 1st rule of Meteorwrongs?

Either way, someone here should be able to set me straight with these two pieces I found about 25 yards apart in a field. Didn't even realize until I got them home and cleaned up that they fit perfectly together! I was shocked to have found and decided to keep 2 separate and kind of different looking(initially) stones to carry home for a closer look, then find they were both parts of the same original stone!!

When together, they both have some flat sections of the melt/flow lines on the same side/face as one another, but these flattened portions are not on the same plane though, despite having the same orientation. There are at least 3 planes of flattening, all on the same face/side/edge. This seems to suggests that whatever caused the flattening of the "melt" flows there, probably occurred before the separation, while they were still together in one piece. Also the smaller(top) segment has a larger cross-section than the larger piece even though they share the entire fracture point from where they separated. That, along with the misaligned "flat-melted" planes, and the way the fracture face on both segments, is edged all the way around with a rounded wear/erosion/ablation termination that looks like it happened after the separation, and independently continued on each piece after they separated, is what makes me think they may have occured at high temperatures whilst traveling through air. I'm not sure, but this much I DO know to be true: I couldn't know that to be true, even were it were to have been, as that.

That's why I need this Forumers' help identifying just what this thing is. Hopefully, none of my way of describing all that, will make any bit sense to anyone, and will not need to, since the pictures will instantly be recognizable to enough of you, as to identify exactly what these 2 fragments are, and such can easily be described in terms that even I would choose to make sense of.

If anyone has any questions, teasing or not, please feel free to lob 'em at me. I should be able to answer anything that doesn't require me to know anything as it relates to the geomorphical sciences.

That said... Here are some pictures that I will use to justify my ignorance in throwing out terms I clearly have no business using, like "Anorthosite" and "Cataclastic" only because Ive heard them used to describe Meteorites that I know nothing about.

So to anyone kind enough to overlook all that I have said thus, and willing to offer any actual knowledge that might shed light or invite levity or right any wrong whatsoever, please feel free to do so. Thanks.

20191025_130038.jpg

20191025_130256.jpg

20191025_130533.jpg

20191025_130543.jpg

20191025_130649.jpg

20191025_130846.jpg

20191025_130904.jpg

Attachments

• 20191025_130038.jpg
    20191025_130038.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 76
Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not a meteorite. Look up KNOWN strewnfields and falls in your area. Do some research on fusion crust and regmaglyps.:skullflag:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has a lot of farm plow hits on it.

OP
OP
Derk

Derk

Sep 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know if this counts as KNOWN strewnfield, but just days before I found whatever this is, my dad saw a fireball streak from east to west, directly overhead outside at his house, "real low" as he says(I know, perspective varies by 10s of miles, even overhead. Granted). He only told me about it the next day after seeing it when he was reminded when I was telling him how just hours before our conversation there was a report over the police scanner of a house exactly 3 miles due east of my dad's that appeared to have been shot at randomly from above. The homeowner even climbed up on his roof and verified a clear hole through his shingles roof and all, and into his daughters bedroom(not there at the time thankfully). Police came and collected what they called "bullet fragments". While there was a lot of discussion about this must have been some "fly-by-shooting" from a plane(no kidding) being in a rural area, there were other locals saying the heard multiple explosions, too loud to be gunfire, but in rapid succession like automatic gunfire! Someone else said they was on phone with husband while he was seeing a series of flashes and driving through the area at that time. I was sure that all that days commotion, and my dads sighting the day before were connected and were all meteoric instances. I was at my dads that evening working in a detached garage, so I thought I should go in and make sure that home security unit was recording all cameras so I could go back and check them later for anything else. And sure enough, one camera did catch a quick flash then immediately after, a clear streaking trail in the sky to the east. So I think our local police station has some meteorite fragments in an evidence bag marked as "bullet" fragments, and that maybe my dad's fireball really may have been closer to where he thinks it was than would normally be, and I think a whole line of exploding meteor fragments is peppering a line from ol' Hole-in-me-house way directly to, and beyond my dad's property in a perfect line darn near. Soon as the farmer harvests the fields on that path, I will be sweeping through daily with my metal detectors and magnets in tow. I know I'll find something. Sure of it.

Thats why I was in the field where I found the piece from this thread. Its not exactly in line with the evidenced path, but just a mile south of the pathline, was a field that was already cleared, so I thought it was close enough to be worth a look. Plus Ive found more than a dozen arrowheads there anyway so...

Look forward to seeing hopefully several more posts from me soon, where I'll have regmaglypts and fresh black fusion crust o' plenty to share with everyone. Who knows, I may be able to at least get a peak of some bullet fragments from outter spce if the stars would align thusly.

Btw, there where 3 meteor showers that were peaking, just had, or just about to be peaking for our area of the globe on/near those 2 days I mention. Has nothing to do with the Big Blue Melty Pieces I found surely, but pertinent to the discussion perhaps.

OP
OP
Derk

Derk

Sep 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of that would be my crude handling and transportation method that day too. I rode down there on a motorcycle with a backpack. I never will say that I'm smart. :dontknow::icon_thumright:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What State are you in Derk?

OP
OP
Derk

Derk

Sep 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hail from Hoosier country. The very Crossroads of the Galaxy!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Derk

Derk

Sep 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems to have a few areas that slightly repelled the magnet. I hung a sewing needle on a foot of thread to see if it did anything, which had a strange effect. Its as if the rock both repelled and attracted the needle. In other words, some of those "magnetic" areas would push and kind of hold the needle about half a centimeter, or slightly less, away from its surface. Likewise, it seemed to attract the needle in to that .5 centimeter distance "holding" zone. So it both attracted and repelled a non-magnetic sewing needle, in certain spots, and seemed to repel a magnet in those spots.

20191025_130557.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions