Looks like breccia and chondritis?

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hilariously funny, :laughing7:

Thanks. Not intended to make fun of @lyusy777... but more a way of trying to point out the illogical way many people try to convince themselves they have a meteorite. I exaggerated to make the point.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
My four year old grandson got a Lightning McQueen tote just like that for his birthday. I guess he now has a fire engine.

Yes, your ā€œover the topā€ sarcasm makes an excellent point. Thank you.

Time for more coffee.

OP
OP
L

lyusy777

Dec 15, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you answer how the lunar feldspar differs from the earth? (Anorthositis from our planet) Less coffee ... More walks and fresh air! Buy a metal detector!

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lyusy777

Dec 15, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally have not seen a fall. I have a witness of the fall of a meteor, who even heard the "sound of the fall." And my first ā€œslagā€ was inside the ā€œvolcanic breccia,ā€ which I cleaned with a hammer.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you answer how the lunar feldspar differs from the earth? (Anorthositis from our planet)

Well, I could, but the differences are largely of a nature that only an experienced geologist with access to the right equipment and with the benefit of petrological analysis would recognise. It would take most of a page to explain them to you in a more friendly manner than you could find for yourself by Googling for scientific articles.

In simple terms, someone with no such expertise wouldnā€™t be able to tell the difference, except for this:

Lunar anorthosites are light in colour. If you find anorthosite (assuming you have the ability to recognise it) which is dark in colour it will be terrestrial. However, terrestrial anorthosites can also be light in colour, so itā€™s not a definitive distinction but does enable some anorthosites to be excluded from having a lunar origin.

Terrestrial anorthosite cooled very slowly after its formation relative to lunar anorthosite. It therefore tends to have larger crystalsā€¦ sometimes 25mm or more in length. Lunar Anorthosites will not have crystals of that size and are fine-grained with perhaps only a few crystals up to 10mm at most. Again itā€™s not definitive, as above, but enables some specimens to be ruled out as lunar.

The slow cooling rate for terrestrial anorthosite can cause some of the plagioclase crystals to exhibit an iridescent appearance as a result of optical interference created by a lamellar structure. Itā€™s called ā€˜labradorescenceā€™ and you will not see it in lunar specimens. Again, not definitive, except to rule out some specimens as having a lunar origin.

Without such knowledge, the only other criteria you can use are those which relate to meteorites in generalā€¦ fusion crust and so on, plus the presence of accessory minerals which are not consistent with lunar origin. You won't find amphibole or garnet in lunar material for example, although they're often present in terrestrial anorthosite.

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally have not seen a fall. I have a witness of the fall of a meteor, who even heard the "sound of the fall." And my first ā€œslagā€ was inside the ā€œvolcanic breccia,ā€ which I cleaned with a hammer.

None of this is helping your case. Because you are being very imprecise about what you found and where, and are showing rocks found in different places which clearly are not geologically similar to one another and do not have the characteristic expected from meteorites, it's becoming impossible to make sensible comments.

If a fall was witnessed all the way to ground impact then there will be a crater, unless it fell in water. if a fall was witnessed only in the sense of a streak in the sky then, as already said, those occur largely in the upper atmosphere and in the vast majority of cases, nothing reaches the ground. In the rare cases when something does reach the ground, since the streak represents something moving very fast, any debris can (and usually is) a very long way from where the streak is observed. Its highly unlikely that your witness heard the "sound of a fall" in the sense of hearing the impact. What is sometimes heard is a sonic boom arising from the meteor travelling through the atmosphere faster than the speed of sound. Fragile meteors known as 'aerolites' also commonly disintegrate from the shock of travelling through the atmosphere and that can also create a 'detonation' noise similar to a sharp bang explosion that may be followed by a longer rumbling noise.

OP
OP
L

lyusy777

Dec 15, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for your answers! My witness to the fall saw a ball of fire burn in many colors, close enough. Then he heard a sound like a slap. He was very scared. And even with memories of this event, his hair stood on end on his hands.

OP
OP
L

lyusy777

Dec 15, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last stone does not apply to the samples shown above. This was discovered by chance when searching with a metal detector near a meteorite fall in 1787.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last stone does not apply to the samples shown above. This was discovered by chance when searching with a metal detector near a meteorite fall in 1787.

The Ukrainian fall of 1787 was named the ā€˜Kharkovā€™ meteorite. Dr A.R. Gorodnitskiy of Sumy provided this account:

"The day was clear, silent, and warmā€¦. At 3 in the afternoonā€¦ when I went of my house suddenly I heard an unusual muffled noiseā€¦like a drum without snapping and beating, even and continuous, right above my headā€¦as it seemed to me. In three days I heard that on the adjoining fields of the Zhigaylovka Sloboda, a stone fell from the airā€¦ten versts [a verst is approximately 1 kilometre] from the town of Bobrikā€¦.We looked at the stone with great curiosity: and both the internal and external parts of it were very memorable for me, so in several years if I could see the stone from which a piece was broken off, I would easily recognize it."

Note that, although he describes what he heard as seemingly ā€œright above my headā€, the meteorite that was found three days later fell around 40 kilometres away. It was an L6 chondrite weighing 1500g. This one in fact:

kharkov.jpg

Note that the L class of chondrite is a low metal group. Still usually magnetic, but more weakly so than the H class. Those in the L6 sub-class have a large percentage volume of visible chondrules (but with weak outlines) in a homogenous fine-grained matrix up to about 15% of the total. Note also the very prominent fusion crust for this fall and that it's oriented (on the ablation face only). Closer examination of the surface of Kharkov revealed the presence of numerous striated veins as shock features from impact. In short, nothing like the rock you found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread