зображення_viber_2020-01-15_17-53-57.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 70
  • зображення_viber_2020-01-15_17-53-59.jpg
    зображення_viber_2020-01-15_17-53-59.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 66

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
None are meteorites. Pick up a few guidebooks. Visit websites of certified meteorite labs. Read. Read again. Learn.

Time for more coffee.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What I see is a large piece of slag, the one you sanded, with the metal gobs. The others look like volcanic breccia. I'm guessing there is an extinct volcano near where those were found.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with @Kray Gelder. I would also expect more recognisable fusion crust (whether primary or secondary crust) on a fall as recent as 2005. Meteor streaks happen all the time, but the vast majority of them don't result in anything actually reaching Earth's surface as meteorites. Even if they do, the debris is usually a very long way from where the streak was observed. You may have seen a streak, but what evidence do you have for any impact? The meteorite community is pretty hot on witnessed falls. The captions on your pics suggest you're in the Ukraine. There are no recorded witnessed falls from the Ukraine in 2005 (nor from Russia).

OP
OP
L

lyusy777

Dec 15, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
зображення_viber_2020-01-30_22-11-40.jpg Does it look like remnants of a secondary cortex?

OP
OP
L

lyusy777

Dec 15, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the answer, but there are many thousands of kilometers to the nearest volcano.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the answer, but there are many thousands of kilometers to the nearest volcano.

Could you please give a more precise locality. If you are in the Ukraine (a presumption from the language on your picture caption), then there is nowhere in that country where you can be thousands of kilometres away from the nearest extinct volcano. Also, volcanic rocks don't just come from volcanoes as most people imagine them (big pointy things with a crater in the top). Geologically, a 'volcano' is just a rupture in the earth's surface from which molten lava has been ejected and there are rocks formed in that way in many parts of the Ukraine from ancient geological activity. The country has also seen glaciation, which has a habit of moving rocks around such that they may not be representative of the geology in the immediate area where they were found.

OP
OP
L

lyusy777

Dec 15, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you understand me, this is very good! (given the fact that I almost do not speak English). I live in the north-east of Ukraine (Sumy region). We know about volcanoes from TV, the Internet and books. Stones found in the forest, under the foliage. So this fact excludes the movement of their glacier.

OP
OP
L

lyusy777

Dec 15, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glacier- is a persistent body of dense ice that is constantly moving under its own weight. Guessed?

OP
OP
L

lyusy777

Dec 15, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can slag contain such explicit "balls" зображення_viber_2020-01-31_23-21-38.jpg

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Can slag contain such explicit "balls" View attachment 1796559

Yes, slags of various types can contain “balls” similar to those indicated. Slag is simply waste from smelting. Depending on the source material, it can have a multitude of textures and can resemble many things, including volcanic rocks.

Based only on the image provided, this item is either slag, or is volcanic in origin. It has no visible characteristics of meteorites.

Get some guidebooks. Visit websites of certified meteorite labs. Read. Learn. Have fun.

Time for more coffee.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the geology of your country. The darker yellow area (6) is the Dnieper-Donets Rift and Sumy Oblast is on the edge of its basin.

Ukraine_geology.png

Illustration by Alex Tora - based on [1], CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=8341663

Massive rifts like this are caused by two areas of the earth’s crust pulling apart from one another and forming a depression, into which volcanic lava may flow from below the surface. It’s still ‘volcanic’ even though there are no volcanic mountain peaks like you will see in the southwest of the Ukraine. You will certainly find volcanic rocks in your region.

It hasn’t been volcanically active since the end of the Paleozoic Era about 250 million years ago, but since it is a geological ‘fault’ area, there is still rumbling activity deep below the surface. That’s why you had a magnitude 4.5-5.0 earthquake in 2015

We therefore don’t need to suppose that any volcanic rocks in your area were deposited by glacial activity, but I think you misunderstand what this means. Glaciers are massive sheets of ice that can push rocks along as they advance, or cause them to be moved by massive flooding as the glacier melts and retreats. Those rocks don’t necessarily remain on the surface… and particularly not when the glacial activity was ancient. The Ukraine last saw glaciation around 200,000 years ago.

This is the same answer in Ukrainian, from Google translate. Probably terrible, but may help you a bit:

Це геологія вашої країни. Більш темно-жовтою зоною (6) є Дніпровсько-Донецький рифт, а Сумська область знаходиться на краю її басейну.

Масивні розриви подібні цій, викликані двома ділянками земної кори, що відриваються одна від одної і утворюють западину, в яку вулканічна лава може текти з-під поверхні. Це досі "вулканічно", хоча на південному заході України немає вулканічних гірських вершин, як ви бачите. Ви точно знайдете вулканічні скелі у своєму регіоні.

Він не був вулканічно активним з кінця епохи палеозою близько 250 мільйонів років тому, але оскільки це геологічна зона «розломів», все ще бурхлива діяльність знаходиться глибоко під поверхнею. Ось чому в 2015 році у вас був землетрус магнітудою 4,5-5,0

Тому нам не потрібно вважати, що будь-які вулканічні породи у вашій місцевості були відкладені льодовиковою діяльністю, але я думаю, ви неправильно розумієте, що це означає. Льодовики - це масивні аркуші льоду, які можуть підштовхувати скелі по мірі просування, або спричиняти їх переміщення шляхом масового затоплення, коли льодовик тане і відступає. Ці скелі не обов'язково залишаються на поверхні ... і особливо не тоді, коли льодовикова діяльність була давньою. Озеленення Україна останнім часом бачила десь за останні 200 000 років тому.

OP
OP
L

lyusy777

Dec 15, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
None are meteorites. Pick up a few guidebooks. Visit websites of certified meteorite labs. Read. Read again. Learn.

Time for more coffee.

It is very interesting to visit America. But it is even more interesting to discover America)))

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh dear. There’s only so much help that can be given, but the Russian website ‘cursovoy.narod.ru’ with its collection of ‘meteorites’ is a joke. I could not stop laughing. The first section says:

“First of all, since some "experts" doubt that these are meteorites (or they have it so accepted - show them the pallasite, they will say that it is slag), then I will first of all give such signs of meteorites, which in appearance (including the appearance of the polished surface) can be determined with a high probability (almost 100%) that this is a meteorite, and chemical analysis will only confirm this.”

This person is an amateur, showing pictures of things which are NOT meteorites. He’s doing what you are doing. Making assumptions based on appearance without any evidence to support his claims. He also obviously has no first-hand experience of meteorites and is just relying on things he has read on the internet. The descriptions of petrology he is giving actually bear no resemblance to the features seen in his rocks.

It’s difficult to translate everything from the website and I’m not sure if he is selling specimens as meteorites (but which are not meteorites at all). However, he appears to be running some kind of business. He talks about payment for his services and the difficulty of providing a price-list.

You cannot rely on anything shown on that website (in my opinion).

The mistake you are making is that you believe you can identify meteorites based on comparison to pictures you find on the internet. You can’t, unless you are really experienced, the pictures are of very high quality and are accompanied by some additional information about the context for the find and the properties of the specimen. The additional information also includes things such as ‘probability’. Even then the answer is not definitive without confirmatory analysis.

The first picture you showed in post #16 is a genuine lunar meteorite. In fact its NWA 2727. It’s a breccia of basaltic and gabbroic lithologies, came from the Sahara and the total amount found was 191g. Lunar meteorites in general are rare (as well as usually small) and some of them are breccias, but they’re typically feldspathic breccias. NWA 2727 is an extremely rare lithology type and is a unique specimen (so far), although it has similarities to NWA 773 (663g), NWA 2700 (32g) and NWA 2977 (233g).

Let’s take a look at your evidence:

Looks like a brecciated chondrite
You pointed out small spheres that you think might be chondrules. As already said, small spherical structures are common in things that aren’t meteorites. Chondrules of that size do NOT occur in lunar meteorites, which are essentially achondrites derived from the surface of the moon, after it became a differentiated body. A few lunar rocks from the Apollo missions have been found to contain moderate numbers of glassy spherules which are similar in structure to meteoritic chondrules, but they are tiny (typically less than 1 micrometer and certainly not visible to the naked eye).

I have an eyewitness to the fall of the meteor in 2005.
No, you don’t unless you actually saw it hit the ground. As already said, there are no reports from the meteorite community of a fall in the Ukraine or Russia during 2005.

Now trying to find the wreckage.
Assuming you saw a meteor streak in the sky, the chances that it hit the ground are extremely low. Most observations of streaks are high up in the atmosphere and from material which does not survive re-entry. Even if it does, it usually falls a long way from the observation of the streak. Tens of kilometres away. Even if you saw a streak and it hit the ground, you are likely looking in completely the wrong place

These are two (total six) fragments found nearby. They were found approximately at a distance of a kilometer from my first find.
As already said, a fall as fresh as 2005 would have a nice and obvious fusion crust. Your specimens don’t have that.

There are many thousands of kilometers to the nearest volcano.
No, there aren’t. the south and southwest of the Ukraine has volcanoes and your area in the northeast sits on the edge of a huge volcanic rift basin. Volcanic rocks will be found in your region and are a MUCH more likely possibility than meteorites. The appearances can be superficially similar. We also know little about industry in your area which might produce slag, clinker and other waste products or where it may have been dumped. Some of what you are showing does look like slag and since you said your finds were at least a kilometer apart, they may not all be the same type of material. You may have both volcanic rocks and industrial slag.

Your pictures
I have never seen anything resembling this kind of appearance in a meteorite and certainly not a lunar meteorite. If those blobs are metallic iron, it would be exceptionally unusual in terrestrial material too, except for things like man-made slag.

Metal.jpg

Native metallic iron is a pretty rare find in terrestrial rocks that have formed naturally. Most of earth’s iron is locked up as oxides, sulphides, silicates and carbonates etc which do not have a metallic appearance (apart from some sulphides where the appearance is crystalline, not rounded blobs).

There are some exceptions, which can be mistaken for meteorites but they’re only found in certain locations the very northern hemisphere. Below is a cut and polished section of material from Plato Putarano in Russia, from my own collection. You could easily mistake it for a mesosiderite meteorite, but it’s a fine-grained terrestrial basaltic breccia with streaks of native iron mixed with nickel.

Plato Putorano Pseudometeorite.JPG

The specimen is from the Noril'sk district of Siberia and is associated with a volcanic rift, similar to the one adjacent to your location.

OP
OP
L

lyusy777

Dec 15, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for your extensive answer! On the advice of people from this forum, I decided to check the official meteorite fall closest to me. I want to know how you will comment on my find. (Sorry for my English) зображення_viber_2020-02-12_01-38-03.jpg зображення_viber_2020-02-12_01-50-37.jpg зображення_viber_2020-02-10_10-01-10.jpg

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m now confused. You originally said that you witnessed a meteorite fall and presumably you know the actual date. If you did, why do you now need to “check the official meteorite fall closest to me”? Are you now accepting that what you saw in the sky and what you found on the ground are not related to one another but hoping to find some proof that a meteorite might have fallen there at some other time?

What you are now showing is a rock. It’s magnetic but that’s not particularly unusual for terrestrial rocks. It seems to have no geological resemblance to the rocks you were originally showing, which you thought related to the fall you believe you witnessed. For this latest rock, the exterior shows absolutely no features which would be characteristic of a meteorite of any class. Rough surface appearance, zero fusion crust.

The interior shows no particular features specific to meteorites. Yes, it’s possible for some meteorites to have that kind of internal appearance but many terrestrial rocks will look exactly like that too. There is nothing visible which specifically says ‘meteorite’ and, when you also consider the external appearance, it’s obviously not a meteorite.

It seems to me that you are just randomly picking up interesting-looking rocks and then trying to convince yourself that you have found meteorites by linking your finds to unreliable and inappropriate evidence you have found on the internet.

I’m sure I’ve found a fire engine. I found this picture on the internet and mine looks just like it. Bright red and shiny, with the wheels and everything. There’s a fire station somewhere around here and I’m pretty sure I heard a siren a while ago.
Fire Engine.JPG

Mine doesn’t have the ladder, but I’m still sure it’s fire engine related, based on the other clues. It’s probably one of the rarer types of fire control vehicles which doesn’t have a ladder. Here’s a picture of one I found on the internet. Mine looks just like it.
Fire Vehicle.jpg

I’ve done a bit more research and found out the nearby fire station is just an administration building which doesn’t have any fire engines, but I’m still sure it’s a vehicle of some kind. I found this picture on the internet and it looks a lot like mine. Apart from mine doesn’t have a seat.
Racing Car.jpg

I found another website where there are red vehicles without ladders where you can’t see the seats because they’re on the inside. I’m not far from London, so I’m now thinking it’s a London bus. Like this one I found on the internet.
London Bus.jpg

Apparently, London buses don’t travel out as far as where I found mine. The buses here are green. This is my find. Any ideas on what kind of fire engine it is?
Suitcase.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread