Mederoit question

Larrym

Greenie
Apr 12, 2020
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and I believe we have found a meteorite I would love to send a pic and see what others have to say but before I do I wanted to know if in fact it passes all the test for being a mederoit but my question is if this is a meteorite what are the chances of there being more in or around the same area and if so how may more could there be like could there only be 1 or 2 more or lots more? I was trying to look at it like this . if many. Thousands of years ago it came from space and hit here then it could have scattered in pieces on impact which would leave many pieces so could there be more than the 1 in my same area?

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Post several pictures of your rock. Describe in detail the “tests” you performed on your rock.

Time for more coffee.

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasurenet! Unfortunately, I would be no help with ID on your rock but there are several people on this site that can help. Please post a picture and describe any test you have done and I'm sure someone will chime in. Don't be upset if you are told it isn't a meteorite. Most posted here are not, but yours could be the one!

OP
OP
L

Larrym

Greenie
Apr 12, 2020
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20200407_164014~2.jpg here is the first pic where the outside has been mostly cleaned then I will post another of the crust showing.as for the test we did most just visual and the magnet which it does not pull really hard and fast to magnet but you can feel the resistance and it's very very heavy for its size and I'm also gonna send a pic of a 2ed rock that I feel strongly about but no sir I'm glad to be able to get an honest oppinion I would not be upset if someone says no it's not what you think it ma be 20200412_122710.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Larrym

Greenie
Apr 12, 2020
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1824731 here is the first pic where the outside has been mostly cleaned then I will post another of the crust showing.as for the test we did most just visual and the magnet which it does not pull really hard and fast to magnet but you can feel the resistance and it's very very heavy for its size and I'm also gonna send a pic of a 2ed rock that I feel strongly about but no sir I'm glad to be able to get an honest oppinion I would not be upset if someone says no it's not what you think it ma be

OP
OP
L

Larrym

Greenie
Apr 12, 2020
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20200414_045714.jpg 20200414_045714.jpg 20200414_045635.jpg
Ok this is second one and you can see crust on then cleaned some off one side it's heavy and pulls a bit harder to magnet than the first

OP
OP
L

Larrym

Greenie
Apr 12, 2020
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1824731 here is the first pic where the outside has been mostly cleaned then I will post another of the crust showing.as for the test we did most just visual and the magnet which it does not pull really hard and fast to magnet but you can feel the resistance and it's very very heavy for its size and I'm also gonna send a pic of a 2ed rock that I feel strongly about but no sir I'm glad to be able to get an honest oppinion I would not be upset if someone says no it's not what you think it ma be

Any suggestions please

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll try to answer some of your questions.

Whether a meteorite reaches the surface of the Earth as a single piece or a shower of multiple pieces (which can be in the thousands) and how widely multiple pieces may be distributed are dependent on a number of factors, such that there is no universal answer to your question. These factors include:

- Whether the meteor was a single piece to begin with. From time to time, Earth’s orbit crosses areas of space where there are clusters of asteroidal material. They generally have the same origin, are travelling on the same trajectory at the same velocity and may or may not be loosely compacted together. We also pass through the debris trails of comets from time to time which may contain clusters of material.

- The velocity at which the meteor hits the upper atmosphere. Cometary material tends to have much higher velocities and so is more prone to break-up.

- The angle at which the meteor hits the upper atmosphere. Meteors entering at a shallow angle are generally subject to uneven stress and more prone to break-up.

- The shape of the meteor. Uneven and irregular shapes are more prone to break-up than compact or aerodynamic shapes.

- The composition of the meteor. Generally, dense and robust iron meteorites are much less prone to break-up than fragile stony meteorites. The lower the density, the more likely the break-up.

- What happens in the upper atmosphere may then be compounded by what happens lower down, or on impact. The initial shock when the meteor hits the upper atmosphere may produce stress cracks which then make the meteor more vulnerable to break-up as it descends. Also, a meteorite that reaches the ground may suffer further disintegration on impact. That again is dependent on the factors above, as well as the nature of the impact. Meteorites impacting on hard rock are more prone to break-up than those that impact in sandy deserts for example. Also, very large meteorites may impact with sufficient energy that they create an explosive fireball which then creates further fragments or even splashform melted pieces (the latter generally only for iron meteorites).

- When there are multiple pieces, their distribution on Earth is what we call a ‘strewnfield’. The distribution is largely dependent on how far up in the atmosphere the disintegration happened, the velocity at which the meteor was travelling and its angle of descent through the atmosphere. A strewnfield can be anything from a few feet across to many tens of miles. The same applies to strewnfields created by high-energy impacts. The bigger the impact, the larger the strewnfield, but large strewnfields arising from impact will usually have an associated crater with either a radial distribution around it or an elliptical distribution following on from it.

There is very little that can be said about your specimens based on pictures of the exterior only, whether cleaned or not, except that none of them exhibit any obvious features to suggest that they are meteorites. Normally we would need a view of the interior to say much more. Not all meteorites are magnetic but, when they are not, they are confined to a much smaller set of possibilities and so are even less likely finds. Again, the exterior appearance is not consistent with the typical appearance of these less common classes of meteorite. It’s difficult to tell from the pictures whether the silvery-looking areas are metallic or whether that’s just light being reflected from shiny mineral areas. If you can see visible metallic portions then, for a meteorite, they will always be strongly magnetic. If they aren’t, then it’s definitely not a meteorite.

As I said, you need to expose the interior to enable anything further to be said and, even then, it may be the case that a meteorite can neither be confirmed nor ruled out except on the basis of probability or professional testing.

OP
OP
L

Larrym

Greenie
Apr 12, 2020
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for your post it does answer a lot of my questions and makes lots of sense I do have several more pictures and about the silver shiny one I almost swore that it was like pure silver it's not a shadow it's through and through silver and kinda soft but not as soft as lead nor as heavy. Also we have found impact diamonds several and I have tested these and they are diamond but there is one that someone gave me that we did not find and certain places test diamond and certain places does not it's shiny black triangle shape and I'm thinking slag but I could be wring posting pic of it as well

Attachments

• 20200707_131019.jpg
    20200707_131019.jpg
    855.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 20200707_131004.jpg
    20200707_131004.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
  • 20200707_192920.jpg
    20200707_192920.jpg
    478.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20200707_192551.jpg
    20200707_192551.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 20200707_194524.jpg
    20200707_194524.jpg
    837.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 20200707_194532.jpg
    20200707_194532.jpg
    679.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 20200707_131924.jpg
    20200707_131924.jpg
    867.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 20200630_000652.jpg
    20200630_000652.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 33
OP
OP
L

Larrym

Greenie
Apr 12, 2020
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks so much for your post it does answer a lot of my questions and makes lots of sense I do have several more pictures and about the silver shiny one I almost swore that it was like pure silver it's not a shadow it's through and through silver and kinda soft but not as soft as lead.im posting a few more pics just for opinions.thanks. lot

Attachments

• 20200630_000616.jpg
    20200630_000616.jpg
    849.3 KB · Views: 41

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread