Need help identifying a meteorite?

Kolesya35

Apr 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello. Could it be a meteorite? I found it in a field with a metal detector. The object looks like a stone with iron, has a blue tinge of iron, very heavy.

Screenshot_2020-04-30-02-21-20-439_com.miui.gallery.png

Screenshot_2020-04-30-02-21-06-707_com.miui.gallery.png

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum.

Like so many rocks posted here, it has no visible features which would suggest this is a meteorite. A view of the interior might or might not halp determine what it is, but at the moment it just looks like a rock. If it were a meteorite it couldn't have fallen recently since there's no evidence of any fusion crust and - in that case you wouldn't be seeing "a blue tinge of iron". You'd be seeing a brown tinge of rust.

Is it actually magnetic and, if so, how strongly? There are many terrestrial rocks which have sufficient iron minerals in them to be magnetic, although visible metallic native iron is very rare in terrestrial rocks.

OP
OP
K

Kolesya35

Apr 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum.

Like so many rocks posted here, it has no visible features which would suggest this is a meteorite. A view of the interior might or might not halp determine what it is, but at the moment it just looks like a rock. If it were a meteorite it couldn't have fallen recently since there's no evidence of any fusion crust and - in that case you wouldn't be seeing "a blue tinge of iron". You'd be seeing a brown tinge of rust.

Is it actually magnetic and, if so, how strongly? There are many terrestrial rocks which have sufficient iron minerals in them to be magnetic, although visible metallic native iron is very rare in terrestrial rocks.

Sorry for the quality of the photo. I left it where I found it, with a metal detector. After a while, I remembered this strange object. Please tell me if it makes sense to go back for it and check with a magnet?

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for the quality of the photo. I left it where I found it, with a metal detector. After a while, I remembered this strange object. Please tell me if it makes sense to go back for it and check with a magnet?

Frankly I don't see anything "strange" about it. Only you can judge whether it's worth going back to it... and maybe that depends on how distant and accessible the location might be. But if all you're going to do is check it with a magnet then that won't tell you very much. There's not much more that could be said without seeing the interior. It may turn out to be something geologically interesting (or not), but it isn't a meteorite.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread