watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any thoughts? (Dime is shown for relative size).

It “feels heavier” than an average rock it’s size and the surface appears to have been exposed to extreme heat. It also has no attraction to a rare-earth magnet.

I recovered this “rock” in a sandy, glaciated area of SE Wisconsin and after looking at it closely, I thought it may possibly be a meteorite (I’m not a meteorite expert) so I had a friend test its mineral composition on a Thermo Scientific Analyzer that he had access to and the mineral composition results indicated:

99.790% Fe (iron) and 0.209% Ir (iridium)

Thanks for looking!

IMG_3751.jpg IMG_3752.jpg

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmm.. If I were you, I would seek out my local Geology professor at your nearest college/university, and send him/her high quality close-ups, the exact weight and measurements, and where it was found. DO NOT cut a "window" to see the interior - DO NOT do anything to it.

I personally do NOT think it is a meteorite, but No One on this or any forum knows for sure. Have it examined and good luck!:skullflag:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Watercolor..you say the mineral composition tests showed that it
was 99.790% Iron, but a magnet is not attracted to it?

Help me out here...:icon_scratch:

It's most definitely an interesting item, and I agree with
Terry..don't do anything to it, and take it to a qualified person
for further analysis.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
First, with that much iron, if it not highly attracted to a magnet, it is most certainly NOT a meteorite.

Second, Thermo Scientific is a brand name, not a model or type of analyzer, so we have no idea what elements or alloys the analyzer is calibrated for or designed to detect. With only iron and iridium detected, I am pretty sure the analyzer or the operator was in error. A meteorite that is primarily iron will have a significant amount of nickel.

If you believe it may be a meteorite, present it to a qualified meteorite laboratory.

Time for more coffee.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It does appear to have characteristics. I say worth while having this one looked upon by a pro. I would say no but you never really know until it is analyzed

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Terry and the other posters, don't do anything to it and let a qualified geologist look at it. Good luck!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something seriously wrong with those 'analytical' results. They can't possibly be correct. Virtually 100% iron but no sign of rusting and no magnetic properties? No... I don't think so!

Even allowing for the fact the results are spurious (or have been miscommunicated), I'm confident it's not a meteorite.

OP
OP
watercolor

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, with that much iron, if it not highly attracted to a magnet, it is most certainly NOT a meteorite.

Second, Thermo Scientific is a brand name, not a model or type of analyzer, so we have no idea what elements or alloys the analyzer is calibrated for or designed to detect. With only iron and iridium detected, I am pretty sure the analyzer or the operator was in error. A meteorite that is primarily iron will have a significant amount of nickel.

If you believe it may be a meteorite, present it to a qualified meteorite laboratory.

Time for more coffee.

That would seem to be the most logical step. I too was baffled by a specimen with that much iron not being attracted magnetically.

I really appreciate everyone's thoughts on what I found and will update when I receive additional analysis information.

Thanks again everyone and stay safe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread