Meteorite or slag?[emoji848]

steve_rowlands

Sep 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi guys found this today with my metal detector.
These kind of things are way outside my expertise so I thought I'd ask you guys.

My equinox 800 see's it as iron and my rare earth magnet does stick to it but not very strongly.

It weighs 222g and the magnet is just about able to lift this weight.

Any help appreciated.

Steve 20201229_141605.jpg 20201229_141616.jpg

OP
OP
S

steve_rowlands

Sep 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So over 100 views and not one reply, I'm sure it's probably junk but just want a 2nd opinion before throwing it away.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your find has the superficial appearance of a nickel-iron meteorite, but it isn't.

A meteorite of that type would always be strongly attracted to a magnet. No exceptions. Difficult to say what it is without seeing the interior, having a streak test result and knowing where you found it, but my guess would be it's a natural and terrestrial chunk of something rich in iron oxides rather than slag.

OP
OP
S

steve_rowlands

Sep 21, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your find has the superficial appearance of a nickel-iron meteorite, but it isn't.

A meteorite of that type would always be strongly attracted to a magnet. No exceptions. Difficult to say what it is without seeing the interior, having a streak test result and knowing where you found it, but my guess would be it's a natural and terrestrial chunk of something rich in iron oxides rather than slag.
Thanks for your time and reply Red-Coat [emoji106]

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello, I’ve looked at it a couple times. I’m trying to learn about them. I think a lot of people’s look for the same reason, they seem to be more elusive than “John Adams buttons”(I just love that thing). The meteorites I’ve held in my hand have all be “sampled” cut in half?or ground or? I don’t know term but We are all interested.
I have gone on trips and hiked to the top of a Colorado “teener” all timed around a know meteor shower and than laid flat on back and watch. there seems to be so many streak across the sky that you think One has to land just right here close by and I’ll see it and pick it up, but not yet.
I’ve watched a Jon Denver show that he described how he wrote the song “ Rocky Mountain High Colorado” and it is also very inspiring.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I’ve looked at it a couple times. I’m trying to learn about them. I think a lot of people’s look for the same reason, they seem to be more elusive than “John Adams buttons”(I just love that thing). The meteorites I’ve held in my hand have all be “sampled” cut in half?or ground or? I don’t know term but We are all interested.
I have gone on trips and hiked to the top of a Colorado “teener” all timed around a know meteor shower and than laid flat on back and watch. there seems to be so many streak across the sky that you think One has to land just right here close by and I’ll see it and pick it up, but not yet.
I’ve watched a Jon Denver show that he described how he wrote the song “ Rocky Mountain High Colorado” and it is also very inspiring.

Watching the 'scheduled' meteor showers in the sky is an exhilarating experience when it's a big shower and you have a clear view, but also visually misleading. Those streaks you can see are usually very high up in the atmosphere and with speeds and trajectories that are taking the meteors many miles from your viewing point. Not only that, but the streaks from these kinds of showers are being produced by debris clouds consisting of tiny pieces of material which aren't large enough to survive atmospheric entry and reach the ground.

Although it varies somewhat by composition, velocity, and angle of approach, broadly speaking an incoming meteor needs to be about the size of a basketball for anything that would still be recognisable as a meteorite to reach the ground. Even then we would typically be talking about something probably no larger than a pea and it would tens or hundreds of miles from where the streak was observed.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your best bet before throwing it out or depending on a visual I.D. over the internet would be to get a professional opinion hands on from a geologist.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
It is not likely to be a meteorite, the pitting is too large and is not consistent with that found in meteorites.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
Red-coat, I appreciate your knowledge.
I go look for there streak every night it’s clear.
When in Colorado now days that fungus those buffalo fans spike the pizza with can make meteor shows a little more upclose.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread