Crater Question

Rock Noob

Feb 13, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

Does this look like a meteorite crater?
Here are a few pictures.
The roundish crater is about 105m x 80m size-wise. I estimate its depth to be around 10 meters.
There are a few other areas that look like craters in the vicinity and are of various shapes and sizes.
I am wondering if it could be man-made or something else.

Met_01.JPG
Met_02.JPG
Met_03.JPG

Thanks,
Rock Noob

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Where is it located? Be specific. Many times, knowing where something is allows us to determine what a feature is from work previously done.

Personally, I think your images show a cone, not a crater. Knowing specifically where the feature is could rule out my opinion, also.

Time for more coffee.

OP
OP
R

Rock Noob

Feb 13, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your input.

I have researched the area and it is not a known listed strewn field. Even though some of the craters seem too large to be related to military exercises, I did research that anyway as well and could not find anything on that topic. The area is fairly remote.

I compared the shape of this crater with other known craters. The whitecourt crater came to mind for example and I find that there are a lot of similarities in terms of the shape. One side has a slightly steeper slope angle vs the opposite side, the shapes are similar, boulders sticking out on the steeper side, etc... I am attaching some pics of Whitecourt. Obviously crater shapes depend on a lot of parameters and can vary widely but based on what I have seen it seems plausible.

Whitecourt_02.png
Whitecourt_03.gif
Whitecourt_01.jpg

If it was an inverted cone, what geological process would generate that?

The geology of the area is calcschist with some limestone nearby.

I guess the proof is in the pudding and I will have to go there and search the area.

tabu

Oct 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
A possible meteorite impact site:

1BAB8B7F-08FD-4267-8DBD-A4A14910A65B.jpeg

The outer ring has a diameter of approximately 12 meters and the inner “eyeball” is 4 meters across. I will try to search the area this summer.

camichael

May 29, 2020
La Verne, Calif
Detector(s) used
White's, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it on the side of a mountain? It kinda looks like a sink hole. You said limestone so I'm thinking a cavern ?

tabu

Oct 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
A possible meteorite impact site:

View attachment 1904324

The same site:

1BB7A400-B035-4F28-A004-E70CD62E484A.png EC0426C8-D82E-4F3E-99F6-5E096E8BBCE8.jpeg

The outer ring has a diameter of approximately 12 meters and the inner “eyeball” is 4 meters across. I will try to search the area this summer.

Landmarks (trees and surrounding boulders) have been identified, measured and compass headings noted.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread