OP
H

Hook111111

Oct 5, 2020
Detector(s) used
Garret atx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The magnet has an attractive rate of 5% or less, there is a possibility that it is Ordnier or LL

OP
OP
H

Hook111111

Oct 5, 2020
Detector(s) used
Garret atx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that it is a meteor because nickel stains are found in several places of the meteorite

OP
OP
H

Hook111111

Oct 5, 2020
Detector(s) used
Garret atx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Secondly, I am a buyer from a meteorite dealer from Africa and I know the shape of the fusion crust very well and it is shown in the pictures. This is a meteorite.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to disagree with those dismissing your ‘meteorite’. Your specimen has a very typical appearance for a Saharan desert-weathered chondrite. Only some additional testing would confirm it, but from your pictures I don’t see any obvious red flags.

There is a very large strewnfield which has been yielding meteorite fragments of this type in recent years and reaching the market as generic NWA material. The location is not being disclosed by the finders but is believed to be on the border of Algeria and the meteorites are appearing on the market in Morocco (generally claimed as having been found there).

Although it’s oft-repeated here on the forum that if it ain’t magnetic then it’s not a meteorite, that of course is not true. It only applies to the commonly found types. But if what you have is a meteorite then it doesn’t look like an achondrite (which might well have little or no attraction to a magnet).

The ‘L’ group of chondrites (within which the ‘L’ stands for low iron) typically have about 20-25% total iron with only about 4-10% as free metal. Those will nevertheless still show noticeable attraction to an ordinary magnet. The ‘LL’ group of chondrites (low iron and low metal) typically have about 19-22% total iron but with only about 1-3% free metal. Certainly, the specimens at the lower end may not show significant attraction to an ordinary magnet and only weak attraction to a rare-earth magnet.

LL chondrites are the least common class of ordinary chondrite, but not especially rare in the overall scheme of things. They also tend to be brecciated (attesting to a violent history in the solar system) such that fragments can have a quite variable composition from piece to piece. Some more magnetic than others.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why all the dissing when someone posts what he thinks is a meteorite? Seems like a simple yes it is or no its not would suffice.I really don,t see why all the discouraging remarks.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Looks like you have a real one there, it has all the visuals of a real meteorite, good score. :icon_thumright:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Thank you for your answers Hook111111. Often people post rocks that have what we in the western US call a “desert varnish”, which can have an appearance similar to a fusion crust, so I was looking for a bit more from you. I do not own any LL meteorites, so I am a bit unfamiliar with them. Had to dig out a few books and read. From the images, a combination of the exterior crust and interior texture are very similar to NWA LL types I found in a few hours of hitting the books. Thank you for showing an example of what I hope is a genuine LL type meteorite.

Time for more coffee.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like the naysayer post has been deleted, although I don't know whether this was the action of one of the Moderators.

Although I frequently respond in the negative when people ask the question "is this a meteorite?" I try to say why... that is point out the contra-indicators if I can see them. That's not the case here and I remain supportive that this specimen has no red flags, has an appearance commonly seen in Saharan specimens, and has no magnetic properties inconsistent with a very low metal chondrite. That of course doesn't mean that it is a meteorite but certainly it's well worthy of next-level testing and my guess is that it will pass those tests.

Last edited:

Fossils

Oct 25, 2019
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to disagree with those dismissing your ‘meteorite’. Your specimen has a very typical appearance for a Saharan desert-weathered chondrite. Only some additional testing would confirm it, but from your pictures I don’t see any obvious red flags.

There is a very large strewnfield which has been yielding meteorite fragments of this type in recent years and reaching the market as generic NWA material. The location is not being disclosed by the finders but is believed to be on the border of Algeria and the meteorites are appearing on the market in Morocco (generally claimed as having been found there).

Although it’s oft-repeated here on the forum that if it ain’t magnetic then it’s not a meteorite, that of course is not true. It only applies to the commonly found types. But if what you have is a meteorite then it doesn’t look like an achondrite (which might well have little or no attraction to a magnet).

The ‘L’ group of chondrites (within which the ‘L’ stands for low iron) typically have about 20-25% total iron with only about 4-10% as free metal. Those will nevertheless still show noticeable attraction to an ordinary magnet. The ‘LL’ group of chondrites (low iron and low metal) typically have about 19-22% total iron but with only about 1-3% free metal. Certainly, the specimens at the lower end may not show significant attraction to an ordinary magnet and only weak attraction to a rare-earth magnet.

LL chondrites are the least common class of ordinary chondrite, but not especially rare in the overall scheme of things. They also tend to be brecciated (attesting to a violent history in the solar system) such that fragments can have a quite variable composition from piece to piece. Some more magnetic than others.

Thank you for this. Sometimes it seems that there are members who give a blanket “not a meteorite” response to everything that is posted on this forum, regardless of the visual characteristics. This is not the first time that rocks that do potentially resemble meteorites have been quickly given negative dismissals. I am interested in learning more about meteorites, and I’m sure there are many others on this forum who think the same. Informative replies like yours are always very helpful :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

blauer

Jun 17, 2014
Pennsylbama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II.
Primary Interest:
Other
Seems like the naysayer post has been deleted, although I don't know whether this was the action of one of the Moderators.

Although I frequently respond in the negative when people ask the question "is this a meteorite?" I try to say why... that is point out the contra-indicators if I can see them. That's not the case here and I remain supportive that this specimen has no red flags, has an appearance commonly seen in Saharan specimens, and has no magnetic properties inconsistent with a very low metal chondrite. That of course doesn't mean that it is a meteorite but certainly it's well worthy of next-level testing and my guess is that it will pass those tests.

Oh. It was! Calling out someone is not allowed I guess.

Barber..

Jan 15, 2012
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why all the dissing when someone posts what he thinks is a meteorite? Seems like a simple yes it is or no its not would suffice.I really don,t see why all the discouraging remarks.

Exact reason I've never posted mine, that I know for sure is a meteorite.. How I know it is real is I was standing in the yard when it came crashing through the tree, I saw it hit and heard the thud as it hit the ground.. It was about 4 inches in, and when I dug it out it was still warm.. Most of it is crusted, has a ton of sparklies, heavier than it should be, and is about the size of a golf ball.. However it is porous, non magnetic, and I saw a picture once that looked "kinda" like it, and was said to be just a rock.. I know what I saw, and heard, I don't want to argue about it, and I don't like to be called a liar, so I just won't post it.

Last edited:

Luciano321

Feb 26, 2021
Panama, Central America
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden Sabre
Tesoro Sand Shark.......(Out of Order)
Minelab Soveregn GT...(Out of Order too.)
Gemini II (Long ago)
Fisher 1280X (Long ago).
T. Sensor....My first device.
I tried dowsing.
I tri
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I found a meteorite once, long ago, when I did not know better....I threw it away....Only years later I realized my mistake....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread