"Del Campo" meteorwrong - mistake, fake, real?

C10

Mar 15, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings all - first post to this excellent site. Wish I'd known about it years ago!

I picked up these two from a well-rated auction house,that described them as "excellent specimens" of what I assumed to be the mis-spelled Campo del Cielo fall. They do not look at all like meteorites to me: no fusion crust or regmaglypts. Bigger concern is what looks to me like a vein of hydrothermal quartz in one, and a parallel seam of some sedimentary composite on the other. They are strongly magnetic, and feel about as heavy as iron, though could be hematite or some other ore. And they have a kind of rough parallel fracture.

Interestingly, several pieces showed up at another auction house, with essentially the same description. Is it possible that these are authentic, from Argentina or some other fall? Is it possible that someone is cleverly putting fakes on different sites to get what they can? I'm prepared to believe that it was a simple, optimistic error by someone who inherited a rock collection or something - but both auction houses say that they are confident of authenticity, despite lack of a CoA.

Any advice welcome. Thanks!
S0070897a.jpg DSCF0907a.jpg DSCF0904a.jpg S0110901a.jpg

Last edited:

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Both rocks appear to be terrestrial in origin. I see nothing in the images that tell me either may be a meteorite.

Time for more coffee.

Al D

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2011
Gold canyon AZ
Detector(s) used
DJI Air 2S
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
When you see this, it is proof positive that your specimen is terrestrial and not a meteorite. 4B3F2B8A-04BA-4B1E-A923-FE7EA713F3B7.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread