25lb Stony Iron meteorite

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't be ridiculous the average person don't have the means to get the specs that you're asking for! My photos aren't for you they're for the people that you constantly deceive so they can visually identify a meteorite not very hard to do so! And for the average person if these guys tell you it's not take a grinder with a cutting wheel shave off an edge and polish it with sandpaper you'll see if it's a meteorite or not.

Ah... all becomes clear that you actually don't "know how to identify meteorites" and have no experience beyond looking at pictures. I think you'll find that "the average person" is perfectly capable of determining a streak result on a porcelain tile and determining the strength of attraction to a magnet but you haven't even given us this basic information.

Most folks seem to be interested in value of potential meteorite finds and so the next logical step in that process would be to get the specimen analysed by a laboratory who can provide these kinds of confirmatory tests or examination with a petrological microscope.

You are, sadly, completely wrong that visual identification of a meteorite is "not very hard to do", unless some very specific features are present and you have enough experience to recognise them. I have only been collecting and studying meteorites for about 40 years and have a modest collection of a few hundred specimens covering pretty much all of the classifications, so please forgive my inexperience in "constantly deceiving" people.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
đŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ah... all becomes clear that you actually don't "know how to identify meteorites" and have no experience beyond looking at pictures. I think you'll find that "the average person" is perfectly capable of determining a streak result on a porcelain tile and determining the strength of attraction to a magnet but you haven't even given us this basic information.

Most folks seem to be interested in value of potential meteorite finds and so the next logical step in that process would be to get the specimen analysed by a laboratory who can provide these kinds of confirmatory tests or examination with a petrological microscope.

You are, sadly, completely wrong that visual identification of a meteorite is "not very hard to do", unless some very specific features are present and you have enough experience to recognise them. I have only been collecting and studying meteorites for about 40 years and have a modest collection of a few hundred specimens covering pretty much all of the classifications, so please forgive my inexperience in "constantly deceiving" people.

Well since you have started to help the readership with informative ID'S, I truly believe that you are an asset to the forum.
I tip my hat to you and your ability to source out the knowledge that has saved countless hrs of researching.
Yet because of your post ups I admit there has been a few rabbit holes that have eaten up a many a hour of I learnt something about something I never knew anything about.
That I thank you for your contributions.

OP
OP
D

DoubleManFlats

Jul 8, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20210713_193936.jpg You ducked my question! Is this or is this not a meteorite? it is magnetic to a cheap porcelain magnet. Based on the picture alone with all your expertise is this or is this not a meteorite?

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Your blurry, out of focus image does not resemble any meteorite I have ever seen. Look up the term “Widmanstatten”. Compare what you have with 20-30 of the thousands of images available. Still think you have meteorites? Take them to a qualified professional that identifies meteorites for a living.

Time for more coffee.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You ducked my question! Is this or is this not a meteorite? it is magnetic to a cheap porcelain magnet. Based on the picture alone with all your expertise is this or is this not a meteorite?

No, I didn’t. Allow me to remind you.

Your start point was this is a stony-iron meteorite, providing zero information about its properties and you then said that you “know how to identify meteorites”. It’s now clear that you don’t.

I invited you to tell us what diagnostic criteria you used for your confident assignation and you evaded that query. And you still have. Streak test? Anything else you can tell us, apart from you have now at least told us it’s magnetic
 but so what? Lots of terrestrial materials are.

I pointed out that you are in error to say visual identification of a meteorite is "not very hard to do" and pointed out that it cannot be done from a picture alone, unless some very specific features are present. Let me spell it out for you.

- Does your specimen have any visible characteristics which are specifically diagnostic for a meteorite (of any kind). That’s a big fat ‘NO’. It doesn’t. That doesn’t rule out it being a meteorite, but:

- Does your specimen exhibit any visual characteristics which are to be seen in terrestrial materials often mistaken for meteorites? That’s a big fat ‘YES’. It does. It would be a rather odd appearance for a meteorite, whether stony-iron or any other classification. That doesn’t mean it’s terrestrial, except on the balance of probabilities and absence of any features which are uniquely meteoritic.

Unless you have some further diagnostic evidence (or obtain it from one of the laboratories specializing in meteorite identification) you’re neither showing me nor telling me anything which convinces me that what you have is meteoritic. Identification is reliant on science-based diagnostics
 not on what you think it looks like and holding a magnet to it.

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I fully expect you to argue that you have a meteorite. If you want details of a laboratory which can confirm or otherwise then I can recommend “New England Meteoritical Services” in Massachusetts but in my opinion yould be throwing $30 down the drain:

Meteorite Testing, Analysis and Identification

- They require a small sample – about 10-20g (roughly the size of a marble). If you don’t want to cut or chip a piece off, they can accept a larger whole specimen but you need to contact them first because you will then need to pay return postage.
- The tests they conduct are essentially non-destructive and the specimen will be returned to you, although it MAY be visibly marked.
- IF the sample is a meteorite they will tell you the type, probable classification, and estimated value. If it’s not a meteorite, they MAY be able to tell you what it is, but identification of terrestrial minerals and man-made items might be outside the scope of their testing.
- The charge for testing is $30.00 per group of 1 or 2 samples. This includes the cost of mailing small samples back to you together with the results, within 5 business days by First Class USPS mail. The actual cost of testing is higher than the fee charged to you, but the service is partly funded through an “educational outreach program”.
- To maximise the value of a confirmed meteorite, the next step would be formal classification and registration with the Meteoritical Society such that the specimen could then be sold as a classified and registered meteorite. This is NOT part of the initial verification service.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread