Meteorite Aboriginal Artefact / Knife From Henbury Australia

olboy

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all

I purchased this recently for very little but was told from the previous owner it had been given to them by a local indigenous person in the 50's.

It is in fact an Australian Aboriginal Knife. I know this as I have collected Aboriginal Artefacts since I was a boy....some 50 years.

What I don't know is the stone.....what do they say 'don't believe the story'.

I have never seen this type of stone in any artefacts I have owned and I've had them all from this vast country.

The stone shines like steel, is considerably heavy for what it is and a magnet is drawn to it but I'm not a geologist, not in this context anyway.

I'd ask people's thoughts if they'd so kindly give them.

Regards
Wayne

thumbnail_IMG_5914.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_5908.jpg
thumbnail_64803126730__6D064FD0-2833-4927-8641-0494CF88FC03.jpg

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Photo #3 looks like it has a cut/broken edge.
Very cool looking-I can't see where it has been worked by man, though was the natural shape repurposed for a knife?

OP
OP
O

olboy

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It has 2 very distinct knapping marks and 2 flat sides that have been ground down. And also a hard 'butt' knapping which is a very common way of knapping knives going back 70,000 years.

It is cool as I'm not sure what it is and love the research to finding out.

I noticed here there was another poster that mentioned the Aborigines used these as tools, so maybe I'm on the right path being here.

thumbnail_IMG_5917.jpg

OP
OP
O

olboy

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DSCN7394.JPG
DSCN7398.JPG
DSCN7405.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN7407.JPG
    DSCN7407.JPG
    452.5 KB · Views: 28

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have some pictures of the other aboriginal artifacts you've been collecting the last 50 years you can share?

OP
OP
O

olboy

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have some pictures of the other aboriginal artifacts you've been collecting the last 50 years you can share?

Some beside me as I write.

thumbnail_IMG_5923.jpg
IMG_1069.JPG
IMG_1091 (800x600).jpg

Last edited:

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read somewhere that the aboriginal people would take the glass insulators off of telegraph poles to use to make blades. Do you think that is what your points that look like glass are made of?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Meteorite is nice but it looks like it was cut not worked.

OP
OP
O

olboy

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read somewhere that the aboriginal people would take the glass insulators off of telegraph poles to use to make blades. Do you think that is what your points that look like glass are made of?

Most of these were made from bottle glass due to their thinness in their body, the top left purple one and another amber one top centre are definitely from insulators. The bottom left ones are made from old ceramic plates, which are rarer.

OP
OP
O

olboy

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes there is a side that looks like it has been shaved roughly but none of it isn't unlike how they formed a knife, it has the characteristics of all my knifes.

I'll find an image of something similar in their usual stones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread