2.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 845

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Kind of looks like glass- transparent- holes in specimen would suggest man made glass. By the way smokey quartz as dano 91 suggests is nature's glass- silicate- same composition as man made glass. From my photo almost looks purple.

Dave's photo is not a closeup so it's composition is not clear.

George

AzSports

Feb 16, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's Gold Master, Garrett Infinium
If it has anything to do with a meteorite then it must be a tektite, the fused sand that re-entered after getting knocked into space by a large fall. Could be lightning as well. The type with holes may have hit water.

T

treaser hunta

I think is is a volcanic rock. the Maya used rocks that had a clear look to them they are one of the sharpest rocks.

Treasure hunta

AzSports

Feb 16, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
I havent seen Obsidian occur with the 'bubbles". I suppose the volcanic nature of it could mean it could get tossed pretty good and end up like a tecktite. Obsidian will have to get pretty thin to pass light too.

Is your piece drilled on the end that looks like it's fixed to hang? Moldivite and other teks can easily be carved and drilled, not so with O.

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada
A dark or purpleish colour slightly transparent, pockmarked surface ..etc..
is probably whats called an 'Apache tear'
usually found in the southwest, or a multitude of rock shops

AzSports

Feb 16, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
'volcanic rock' - 'Apache tear' - 'Obsiidian' - 'Maya used rocks'. All the same stuff! It's hard and knapps very sharp and in flakes.

D

don Lupe

Hi; don lupe here; No this is not a meteorite..dealing with meteorites you have to consider weight, content, tecture, FLIGHT markings, ( This object has none! ) etched lines whether Winstaaten/Newman. Meteorites are a beautiful study, Get Robert Haag's catalog or look into his site on internet. 'He's the Man.' Forgive me for sounding like a "Know-it-all" but it's it's my living, it's what I do best,, except for maybe a bit of Flamenco?

AzSports

Feb 16, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Some people do believe a tektite to be a meteorite since it did travel in space and land on Earth. I don't because of the Earth origin.
I think the original poster is gone, and has a piece of moldvite from some Czech fall.
You do know most falls don't show an orientation or a pattern when etched. :)

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
root said:
Could be Obsidian. Natures own glass. When lightning strikes sand this may occur.
I believe that it is obsidian, which is volcanic glass. Obsidian can come in many colors such as black, or mahogany obsidian, which is reddish brown, or snowflake which has white inclusions that can sometimes look like snowflakes. I knapp obsidian and have seen many varieties, including some that have bubbles. Root, lightning can cause a natural glass, but it isn't obsidian, but fulgarites and they are light fragile tubes of fused sand usually hollow. Just my 2 cents HH omnicognic 8)

OP
OP
Crystallize

Crystallize

Apr 12, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the suggestions even if I'm not sure which where answers to my question or Dave45s.
Thats the disadvantage to hijack someone else's thread ::)

Well, lets say like this, it's not pure glass, you can tell when you strike it against your teeth,
it feels more like stone than glass.

It doesn't really look man made , my web-cam isn't the best, I wish I could take better pictures *sigh*

It does look like the surface have been molten as the surface is a little smooth that way, on both sides.
I have never seen an obsidian that is transparent, but on the other hand, I haven't seen all that much ;D

The guy I bought it from claims it to be a meteorite,
http://www.tradera.com/auction/auction.asp?aid=13143780
I just wanted a confirmation, but really I just got more confused, but it's not that important. ;)

John B.

Greenie
Jan 20, 2005
Hi Crystallized and All

That pendent stone appears to be a tektite maybe ?? There are a number of different types from different locations around the world . There is a lot of conjecture about just what they are and where they came from . But what is know is that they passed though our atmosphere . They are thought to be impact silicates caused by meteorite impacts. They are rock or soils melted and ejected from the forces of a meteorite hitting our planet and thrown up out of our atmosphere and then reentering . There are some that believe some of them are from impacts on our moon and falling to earth . I Think ?? Happy Huntin John B.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread