Found rock at Florida Beach New "PICS" Posted

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
Found rock at Florida Beach New "PICS" Posted

Hello i recently was beach detecting in Florida at a very popular beach.

This was a place where myself and hundred's of fellow detectorist have put in many hour's locating many item's.

On this day i was using a Excalibur 1000 and my detector located a target 8 inches down in the wet sand, When i scooped up the target it was a small semi rusted looking rock.

I handed it to my friend and he put it in his pocket and i continued detecting, A few hour's later i was putting away my gear and i turned to my friend and remembered that he had that strange rock that caused my detector to beep.

It was dark and i put it in my truck until i returned home from my vacation. This small rock weights around 46 gram's " and it is 2 inche's long and a inch and a quarter wide. It is kinda rusty black, both end's are kinda rounded and this rock has a very high smell of '' sulfur.''

There is rusty spot's all over and i have very strong earth magnets and it stuck to this rock very strongly, I also put it next to a small compass and the needle started turning.

Like i said this rock has a very strong sulfur smell for being such a small rock.

Funny thing about this is the way i treated it since i dug it up, i started to throw it back in the ocean but decided i wanted to see why it made my detector go off. Then i gave it to my friend and luckly i remembered to get it back,

Do any of you think this could be the real deal. ::) ::)

???

Attachments

• meteorite04.jpg
    meteorite04.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 698
  • meteorite03.jpg
    meteorite03.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 688
OP
OP
ronald99

ronald99

Dec 13, 2006
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE-Excalibur 1000-Minelab SD2200V2
Re: Found rock at Florida Beach New "PICS" Posted

Sorry it took so long to post pics, I purchased a computer microscope Digital Blue, it sure is fun to use.

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
Re: Found rock at Florida Beach New "PICS" Posted

are you sure that it is not an iron concretion? where an iron object in salt water rusts and in the process sort of glues together bits and pieces of sand, shell and other things around it into a sort of conglomerate. The picture seemed to show small bits of shell on the surface.
If it is a iron concretion, there could be something interesting at its center. Coins have been found inside of larger concretions, even emeralds from treasure ships, so I am not suggesting that what you found is just a hunk of rusty iron, however since it was found on the seashore, I would expect to find a rusty iron concretion before I found a meteorite.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread