My meteorite

A

aquabob

Here is a picture of the meteorite that I found quite a few years ago. I haven't been able to identify it, but I know it came from the sky for sure. I found this in a corn field while hunting, and it was in a depression in the ground app. 6" across, and 3-4" deep. The outside surface is a brownish/maroon, and is textured with little "peaks and valleys". This ball is quite heavy for it's size, and almost perfectly round, but not quite. Has anyone ever seen anything close to this? or know what it may be?

Bob

Attachments

• Meteorite 005 (Small).jpg
    Meteorite 005 (Small).jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 1,098
  • Meteorite 003 (Small).jpg
    Meteorite 003 (Small).jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,075

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Sorry-It is not a meteorite. Meteorites are never round like the specimen you have. Impossible to tell what it is from photo. If no one can identify from another closeup- then the final step is whack it into half for another closeup. Possibly a geode or a concretion.
Don't feel bad no one has posted a real meteorite on this forum yet.

George

OP
OP
A

aquabob

Do geode's or concretions come from space? I can assure you, that whatever this is, it came from the sky, or was shot out of a cannon, as I found it in a crater/ small depression.

Crystallize

Apr 12, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, at least I think it's genuine, it looks like stones I have also.

The blackness and the surface seems very genuine, I would say yes, it comes from space.

A round one maybe more rare but not impossible, they come in all shapes and sizes. :)

clockdryve

Greenie
Dec 10, 2005
I agree. Just because it's round does not mean it is not a meteorite. In Oklahoma 20 years ago, I heard a sound one night as I was walking. I turned around to look-There was a HUGE meteorite flying horizontal accross the sky about 200ft up. I heard it before I saw it (flapping sound like sheets flapping in the wind) looked like it was going under 50 miles an hour. The flapping sound was because this meteorite was on fire. Fire was spewing out from pockets so sound was fire wipping around (meteor was very slowly rotating) This meteor was completely ROUND. Was not a fireball......there was solid mass-the front cracked and 4 or five (largest fist size) pieces seperated from main mass. I watched this thing for about 8 seconds or less, then the fire went out and I could not see it anymore as it was after 9pm. This thing had to land. I now live in Iowa-and I think about this rock all the time!!! So YES they can be round.

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
If you look in Mike Haags 2005 meteorite book,It has a picture of meteorites called buttons,They are round and have a hollow on one side like a bowel.I found what looks like one and it was found with my detector and was magnetic.It broke up in my hand becuase it was so rusted.That sucks!..Those are very rare and very hard to find.I think there was only one ever found and the Meteoirte Man has it.So it is a good idea to keep any strange rock that is magnetic,because you won't know if it is a meteorite untill it is completely tested for syptoms by a lab. ;)
Pss.
I still have not figured how to send pictures and I have tried everything even with a hosting site.

P

peterjl

My guess is that you have there a peice of Tektite.

Any of numerous generally small, rounded, dark brown to green glassy objects that are composed of silicate glass and are thought to have been formed by the impact of a meteorite with the earth's surface.

Tektites (Etymology: Greek tektos, "molten") are pieces of glass formed when a large meteorite strikes the Earth. Tektites and associated impact melted rock are found in only a few regions on Earth (called tektite strewn fields) and are, in most cases, associated with young impact craters on or near land. Tektite glass looks similar to obsidian glass but can be differentiated by colo and chemical composition.

Tektites come in two forms. The more common form, "splash-form tektites" have --ROUNDED--, aerodynamic shapes such as spheres, tear-drops, dumbbells, and disks when they are well-preserved. The second variety, "layered" or "Muong-Nong-type" tektites, are found in abundance only in southeast Asia. They have blocky, fragmental shapes and commonly display compositional layering and variations in bubble content. Some larger pieces have a surface tektite reminiscent of lava or "breadcrust" lava bombs

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Four easy yes/no tests to determine if it requires testing.
All should be Yes answers to make it worth the testing.
1. Is it metal, can it be detected by a metal detector?
2. Is it heavier than a "normal" rock of that size? Most meteorites are very dense and must be to have survive the flight through the atmosphere.
3. Is it attracted to a magnet?
4. If a small section is ground with a carbonium grinding wheel, does it have small metal flecks in the interior structure?

Here's a good link to a meteorite site.

http://www.meteorite.com/Meteorite_Identification.htm

There's some great links in the FAQ's at the top of this Meteorite Forum also.

I hope it is one, good luck.

Smiles!
BDoo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread