Meteorite?

Nov 25, 2008
Molly,

I hate to pop your bubble, but I am very certain that your rock is not a meteorite. The color is way off. It would either be black if very fresh or rusty if it has been around awhile. There would not be the lighter color on it that is mixed up with the brown. If a magnet does stick to it, it could be an iron bearing granite, but I am not a geologist. But I have held thousands of meteorites, and my share of meteorwrongs.

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Molly, keep looking. It's a cool find nevertheless.

I hope Steve stays around. He has found more that his share of meteorites. His find at Greensburg, KS is what inspired me to build a detector and look for one.

It's nice to have another expert here.

OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SteveArnoldMeteorites said:
Molly,

I hate to pop your bubble, but I am very certain that your rock is not a meteorite. The color is way off. It would either be black if very fresh or rusty if it has been around awhile. There would not be the lighter color on it that is mixed up with the brown. If a magnet does stick to it, it could be an iron bearing granite, but I am not a geologist. But I have held thousands of meteorites, and my share of meteorwrongs.

Hi Steve, it as been in the woods for over 40 years, it's very rusty. I don't think it is a meteorite, I am just very curious to what kind of rock it is, it as to be iron because of the sheer weight.
Well, will know next month. Thankyou for input.

Molly.

OP
OP
*Molly*

*Molly*

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2008
England.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well my results came back today, unfortunately its not a meteorite. :(

Molly.