Meteorite FAQs - Info

jimpeterson

Nov 9, 2006
Have any of you guys ever found a meteorite? How big? What depth? What detecting equipment did you use?
Any of your friends hunt for them? Why did you pick a certain spot to hunt?
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks,
jim Peterson

ghost surf

Dec 11, 2004
I actually did find one riding a bike through a potato field.I kept it for years not knowing what it was just a cool looking rock.Then I took it to Mid State Technical and they sent it to a lab..It was certified a all metal meteorite.I had it until with moving lost it and don't still know what I did with it. I also do Metal detecting and have at least 40 rocks with symptoms, But never had them checked.
I use a good metal detector and a big magnet a streak test plate and a Ten-X roll out magnifier ..Tesoro Sabra 2, I can pick up sound to a few inches to almost a foot.I put it on Discriminate at first but when I hit a solid sound I put her in all metal mode.I test her while hunting to see how batteries are ..It gives you better strength if batteries are used and always use ear phones saves batteries.I don't miss anything when hunting and I will take all day long too for hunting with soda break or so.fields of all kinds I will hunt..along streams and lake,newly dug up ditches.Regular places, but always ask permission if it is private property. I have even ask the police station once to go across ed the street along the railway.They just said be careful.I pick fields..The farmers move the land, I don't have to dig so deep, have no grass or other stuff to fight with and it's always has the coolest rocks to find even if it is not a meteorite,you find all types of minerals.I have even found fools gold in very small quantities.Just after it rains and the ground has soaked up alittle is great cause the rocks show their color better.Ya you get mudded up.... so!Wear your barn boots.I think in a filed just down from us there may be a grave..I found a low level ob long area with a boulder at the top..They seem to go around that spot, so It is probably something of suspicion to them also.Good thing for that!Another farmer did find a grave spot while plowing,just around from us..It was yellow taped and now is a historical grave area.They think it was settlers of the past who are buried there.You never know what you will come apon.It is so darn peaceful and you know your with the man above..always carry enough water and something to eat ..a cell phone and a loud sounding noise beeper would be good in case of emergency or you are out of site of good hearted people and need help..beware of nasty animals snakes, dogs etc.I came upon some once and beware of strangers.If someone is lurking "Be safe" and get out of there.You want to be safe anywhere you go. I had that happen also,not to me.... my car.NOTE!Always loch it up. No hunting on alloted State land property..A NO_NO!ask first!I always tell where I am heading to home folks and my own family if I don't return they will come looking!
2.They are usually heavier then the normal rock...some are not, but those are very rare to find.
3.Meteorites come in many colors and different shapes.
Are always magnetic
4.Could have a thin burnt crust if newly found, just fallen,ones that do not are very old and rusting.
5.Magnetite and Hematite have the same type of symptoms of meteorites...but they are NOT meteorites.
6.Rocks that put streaks of black,light Grey,pencil Grey,reddish or any color on any test tile are not a meteorite.
7.The crust may put a color..you will have to grind a little spot ,then do the test scratch on that spot and see if it leaves a color..There should not be any color after the streak test is done.
8.Check your rock with "The gallery of Meteorite wrongs" Put that in your computer search box, it will let you know where to go!Believe me I have used it many times myself for comparing my own meteorite finds.It works!
9.The tests above are not all conclusive to answer for there are rare types of meteorites, all depends on the type you found.
10.If you suspect it could still be a meteorite, a test lab is the only way to get the real answer.

If you found one in a farmers field, know the law.Quote{It's not yours to keep!} it's the farmers!..They will probably be happy to share some of your find and glad you found it also.Be a good citizen, don't steal because meteorites are very valuable to both you and that farmer.

Now go out and seek forth the elusive rock from space! ;D

D

don Lupe

Please do not scratch test a meteorite, do not take a meteorite to your nearest University for ID, waste of time and you will get 'screwed' study or give it to your siblings to study, Get R. Haags catalog if your curious about your "Rock" it's worth the price, "And Robert, I want a cut of the extra profit. I need gas money..I'm snowed out from a BIG strewn field in the mountains near here that will keep me-us busy for years, buzzed right over your parents ranch in Sonita, guy camping says a lot of big chunks went over the camp scarring people, made a lot of noise and crashed in the peaks. rugged country, not for fat boys, snakes, hungry bears looking for their next Boy Scout, and trees, not good for meteorite hunting."

Galactic-Stone

Mar 12, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre

tertiaryjim

Aug 5, 2008
Thanks-Everyone for all the good information. This will keep me reading for awhile . Since I try to get out and walk a few miles on weekends I started to carry my detector with a fifteen inch coil, on the off chance of getting it over a meteor . That thing nearly wore my arm out in a short time. Now I just use a ten inch coil . Would anyone have a suggestion for a light weight coil suitable for meteors for a Minelab SE ? The areas I'm Looking at are so low in minerals that I can run in All Metal and with Max Sensitivity . Jim

Polebilly13

Apr 27, 2010
RVing
Marc said:

***I noticed that you are the Administrator of this Forum. As I am completly NEW to this and know not where to go to ask a question, I am starting with you. QUESTION: For someone, who is 60 years of age by the way, who is just starting out to Hunt for Meteorites, what would you suggest as starting out equipment, ie; Detector (not to expensive) and other Equipment needed to start out with. With all the different Detector's out there on the NET, I am very confused as to what to buy.*** ???

Hardpan

Mar 20, 2003
Polebilly13,
The most important piece of equipment for hunting meteorites, is what we call a meteorite-cane. The ones we use are VERY inexpensive to make. One set of "canes" we use is simply a pair of number 2 irons (golf clubs) from Goodwill or Salvation army, at a cost of $2.00 each. Then we used electrical tape to attach neodymium magnets to the heads of the irons. We bought the neodymium rare earth magnets on ebay for $10.00 each. That made each cane cost $12.00. I also have another one made from a nice adjustable, telescoping walking-stick (Goodwill for $2.00) with 2 strong neodymium magnets (free from a thrown-away, computerhard drive) taped to the end. total cost $2.00. Check it out.
Ben

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ghost surf said:
I actually did find one riding a bike through a potato field.I kept it for years not knowing what it was just a cool looking rock.Then I took it to Mid State Technical and they sent it to a lab..It was certified a all metal meteorite.I had it until with moving lost it and don't still know what I did with it. I also do Metal detecting and have at least 40 rocks with symptoms, But never had them checked.
I use a good metal detector and a big magnet a streak test plate and a Ten-X roll out magnifier ..Tesoro Sabra 2, I can pick up sound to a few inches to almost a foot.I put it on Discriminate at first but when I hit a solid sound I put her in all metal mode.I test her while hunting to see how batteries are ..It gives you better strength if batteries are used and always use ear phones saves batteries.I don't miss anything when hunting and I will take all day long too for hunting with soda break or so.fields of all kinds I will hunt..along streams and lake,newly dug up ditches.Regular places, but always ask permission if it is private property. I have even ask the police station once to go across ed the street along the railway.They just said be careful.I pick fields..The farmers move the land, I don't have to dig so deep, have no grass or other stuff to fight with and it's always has the coolest rocks to find even if it is not a meteorite,you find all types of minerals.I have even found fools gold in very small quantities.Just after it rains and the ground has soaked up alittle is great cause the rocks show their color better.Ya you get mudded up.... so!Wear your barn boots.I think in a filed just down from us there may be a grave..I found a low level ob long area with a boulder at the top..They seem to go around that spot, so It is probably something of suspicion to them also.Good thing for that!Another farmer did find a grave spot while plowing,just around from us..It was yellow taped and now is a historical grave area.They think it was settlers of the past who are buried there.You never know what you will come apon.It is so darn peaceful and you know your with the man above..always carry enough water and something to eat ..a cell phone and a loud sounding noise beeper would be good in case of emergency or you are out of site of good hearted people and need help..beware of nasty animals snakes, dogs etc.I came upon some once and beware of strangers.If someone is lurking "Be safe" and get out of there.You want to be safe anywhere you go. I had that happen also,not to me.... my car.NOTE!Always loch it up. No hunting on alloted State land property..A NO_NO!ask first!I always tell where I am heading to home folks and my own family if I don't return they will come looking!
2.They are usually heavier then the normal rock...some are not, but those are very rare to find.
3.Meteorites come in many colors and different shapes.
Are always magnetic
4.Could have a thin burnt crust if newly found, just fallen,ones that do not are very old and rusting.
5.Magnetite and Hematite have the same type of symptoms of meteorites...but they are NOT meteorites.
6.Rocks that put streaks of black,light Grey,pencil Grey,reddish or any color on any test tile are not a meteorite.
7.The crust may put a color..you will have to grind a little spot ,then do the test scratch on that spot and see if it leaves a color..There should not be any color after the streak test is done.
8.Check your rock with "The gallery of Meteorite wrongs" Put that in your computer search box, it will let you know where to go!Believe me I have used it many times myself for comparing my own meteorite finds.It works!
9.The tests above are not all conclusive to answer for there are rare types of meteorites, all depends on the type you found.
10.If you suspect it could still be a meteorite, a test lab is the only way to get the real answer.

If you found one in a farmers field, know the law.Quote{It's not yours to keep!} it's the farmers!..They will probably be happy to share some of your find and glad you found it also.Be a good citizen, don't steal because meteorites are very valuable to both you and that farmer.

Now go out and seek forth the elusive rock from space! ;D
Is the Metal Detector a Tesoro Sabra 2 or a Tesoro Golden "Sabre" II ?
I own a tesoro Golden Sabre II with silent Search, I was wondering if mine is the same? Thanks for letting me know my friend.

HappyTrails55

Sep 30, 2005
Paso Robles
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
GREAT INFO...While digging for Gold in a creek bottom this Rock that is pictured was thrown up on the Tailing Pile, then later on while I was Detecting the hole I went back to check the tailings, that's where I found it...Checking it on my neodym magnets, wowzie this baby is Highly Magnetic but WHAT IS IT? Here's some Pic's....Darrell ODD ROCK..... 001.jpg ODD ROCK..... 002.jpg ODD ROCK..... 003.jpg ODD ROCK..... 004.jpg ODD ROCK..... 005.jpg ODD ROCK..... 006.jpg ODD ROCK..... 007.jpg

HappyTrails55

Sep 30, 2005
Paso Robles
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Got some more pic's here...but when I watched this youtube video that's on another thread down below this one where it's headlined as "watch this - how to identify a meteorite", I became engrossed in this little rock and now it's telling me stories about the area where our mining claims are at. The only thing I haven't done yet but will in a little while is to do the "Window Test", but I'm fairly positive it will pass, I cannot commit to what I'm going to say here yet, but I got a couple of super smarty High Tech Computer nephews and if I can make a little video of this of where I can make this rock "Dance" with my heavy duty neodym magnets, then maybe they can upload it on youtube so you can see on just how this rock reacts to the magnetic properties. I can make it dance, roll over or slide it down a smooth surface like the kitchen table with the magnet 1 to 2 inches away from it. When it's on the magnet (like the pic's), I can violently shake the magnet and the rock will not dislodge or fall off, so here's some more pic's......Darrell Odd Rock II 001.jpg Odd Rock II 003.jpg Odd Rock II 004.jpg Odd Rock II 005.jpg Odd Rock II 006.jpg Odd Rock II 007.jpg Odd Rock II 008.jpg Odd Rock II 009.jpg Odd Rock II 010.jpg Odd Rock II 011.jpg Odd Rock II 002.jpg

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
iron ore? magnetite?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
iron ore? magnetite?

I agree. Water tumbled and smooth, unlike this gold ore sample from Rich Hill, Arizona. Not a meteorite.

Attachments

• rocks A020.jpg
    rocks A020.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 995
  • rocks 051.jpg
    rocks 051.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 375

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These are some of the Gold Basin, Arizona L4 Stone Olivine Hypersthene Chondrites (Olivine Fa24±1; Pyroxene Fs20 Wo1; Kamacite contains 0.72±0.09 wt% Co; and a weathering grade W2-3) I have found.

Attachments

• gtr 004.jpg
    gtr 004.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 357
  • gtr 001.jpg
    gtr 001.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 394

HappyTrails55

Sep 30, 2005
Paso Robles
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Well Respectfully I'm going have to disagree for now, after some careful research and about 4 hours on the phone with some other experts the shape of metorites really has nothing to do with it, round and smooth like normal cobble are COMMON with Meteorites, in fact there are many examples of them that are spherical or round as round as the earth or a baseball and so far my window test on this rock has proved conclusive although I am still myself a little skeptical but that is just my nature, so figuretively speaking the jury is still out, hee,hee..... Comparative Samples of Cobble Like Meteorites 002.jpg Comparative Samples of Cobble Like Meteorites 003.jpg Comparative Samples of Cobble Like Meteorites 004.jpg Comparative Samples of Cobble Like Meteorites 005.jpg Comparative Samples of Cobble Like Meteorites 001.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread