Hermosillo Mexico 1892 Gold Mine Found

RichWhite

Mar 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That story sounds much like a story I have heard from several people in Hermosillo, specifically claiming that the Indian in question was a Seri Indian. As far as I know, no such prospect was ever worked.

lilorphanannie

Apr 19, 2008
The article refers to a mine discovered in 1803 by a Spainard named Don Teodoro Salazar,who arrived from Spain in 1799 to prospect in the área of La Cienega, Sonora, known at that time as San Idlefonso de La Cieneguilla and site of one of the richest gold rushes known antwhere at that time. Unfortunately ,Mr .Salazar arrived on the tail end of the La Cienega bonanza and began to search for the source of the placer gold or a similar site. This search took him to a small range of hills some 15 miles northeast , and discovered a place known as San Francisco de Asis, here in the first two months 25,000 marcos of gold was mined, essentially by picking it up right on the surface. A marco is equivalent to 8 ounces. Eventually ,over 20,000 people had moved into the área. Up this draw, Don Teodore discovered the source ,or at least one of the sources of the placer. He named the mine La Teodorina, presumedly ,after his daughter. The Teodorina, is mentioned and well documented in the Sonoran mining archives and is referenced in several books. The mine had changed names and ownership over the years and herein lies much of the difficulty. As with many of the supposed ¨lost mines¨the problem has been the ongoing changing of names with each concession holder. I lived and worked in the área of La Cienega for three years in the early 90´s. There is no doubt as to the wealth that must have been there and still is. We saw veins that run 14 opt, 11 opt, and narrow quartz veins running 42% gold. And first hand reports comment that the Teodorina exceded them all in ounces per ton. I personally saw 8 pound Nuggets found with a metal detector, and the first metal detector brought into the área in 1989 took out 7.5 pounds in two weeks. The área was scraped and detected for the next 25 years and there are still some diehards giving it a go. Refer to the ´´Boot of Cortez¨nugget, found in this área not too long ago. In my opinión the Teodorina mine can be easily found, by visiting the mining claims office in Altar,if it still exists, and if closed to find out where those records are held. One can also solocit help from the Sonoran Historical society ,and local historians. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions