New Thread for Laws re: metal detectors in Mexico

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Back in the early 1980s, Fisher Co. had a monthly or quarterly type periodical published. In it, they had a Q&A type column. In one edition, a question appeared, something to the effect of: "I'm getting ready to vacation in Mexico. Is metal detecting legal there?" The answer they were given was titled: "When travelling to Mexico, leave the detectors at home". The author went on to say that, yes, it was ILLEGAL to detect in Mexico, blah blah.

In the next edition of that same periodical, in that same Q&A column, several readers had written in to take issue with the answer Fisher had given. They were saying things like "Since WHEN are detectors not allowed there?" and "Who gave you that information?" or "We go down there all the time and never have a problem." etc...

Fisher answered the objections by explaining their answer: When they had fielded the question in the previous edition, they simply went to a Mexican consulate or customs person/office, and asked! I mean, who better to ask, than Mexico themselves, right? Doh! Whomever they had asked, might have couched their answer in terms of looting pyramaids, shipwreck salvor laws, federal protected historic sites, exporting gold bars, or .... who knows? I mean, it would be the same if you were to ask some American Bureaucrats: "Can I metal detect in the United states for treasure?" you might be told "no", because they're thinking in terms of ARPA, Mel Fisher legal wars, Shiloh, Ghettysburg, lost-property laws, etc....

In any case, whatever bureaucrat lawyer type Fisher had consulted, had told them "no". But get this: all the major dealers (Whites, Garrett, and yes ... even FISHER) had dealers down in Mexico, and detectors are a common site on the tourist beaches, and I suppose on land. It would be no different than here, that as long as you're not being a nuisance, or hunting obviously sensitive historic sites, you're ok.

I guess it's kind of the same psychology for any public place, be it a park, a school, a vacant lot, etc.... the minute you ask a bureaucrat "can I metal detect here?" you may get a "no", when in fact, no one really cares, or would have noticed (until you asked). I know it sounds like a catch-22, because, "what if there really HAD been a law?" To that I would answer, look it up yourself, to see if something is really in writing (usually available on-line somewhere), rather than asking. Because by asking a live person, they can interpret your question as "can I have permission?" (like, as if you were asking for their OK). I have seen this happen to someone asking at a city hall "is metal detecting legal in the parks here?" The clerk looked and looked, and couldn't find anything at all to address it (ie.: silent on the issue). But she retorted "we don't want people digging in the parks, so I'll have to tell you 'no'". The guy was pulling his hair out, because he realized he had just gotten a "no", when in fact, he'd probably have just been ignored in the field, if he'd just gone. If he had just gone and done his own homework (codes usually available on city websites), he'd have concluded that he was ok, as long as he wasn't making a mess or something. Ie.: just be discreet. I can't help but wonder if it's not the same mentality on a national level. Same for a lot of European countries (France, Spain, etc...), that, if you asked, or looked up written rules, you might conclude that you can't metal detect there. But there are throngs of hobbiests there, dealers, etc... They'll tell you that you can hit farmer's fields with permission, that are outside the scope of public land laws. Or quite frankly, they just hunt so far back in the forests, that there's not a soul around to care a less.

La Beep

Feb 15, 2008
NE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, XLT Fisher's CZ5 Garretts GTA 1000
Remember: If you have to ask all ways phrase it: "Is there any laws against metal detecting" verses "Can I" or "Is it legal to metal detect"

T

tulecanyon

anything is legal in mexico if you give the little bite.

officer, can i use this machine over there?...hand slips the man a twenty...

sherwood

Greenie
Oct 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If metal detecting were illegal i would not have been able to buy my GC1016a here in mexico.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Just a note. I live in Mexico, am not saying where because of postings on the treasure of Moctezuma. I will add that any area designated by government as an archaeological zone is off limits.

Also, in rural areas, there is shared coop type land called ejido land. You will have more troubles than Carter had liver pills if you detect there.

I forgot. Anything from before Cortes is very much property of Federal government, and if you have it, you are stealing government property. Yes, we are talking prison time.

And, do not take any ancient fossils out of country. I know a place where there are fish fossils from the ocean high in the mountains. If a university wants one, by the time they pay permits and taxes, it will run over $20,000 USD. I own one. It was given to me, but I am not taking it out. So, that is okay.

Last edited:

cameleon222

Jul 2, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a note. I live in Mexico, am not saying where because of postings on the treasure of Moctezuma. I will add that any area designated by government as an archaeological zone is off limits.

Also, in rural areas, there is shared coop type land called ejido land. You will have more troubles than Carter had liver pills if you detect there.

I forgot. Anything from before Cortes is very much property of Federal government, and if you have it, you are stealing government property. Yes, we are talking prison time.

And, do not take any ancient fossils out of country. I know a place where there are fish fossils from the ocean high in the mountains. If a university wants one, by the time they pay permits and taxes, it will run over $20,000 USD. I own one. It was given to me, but I am not taking it out. So, that is okay.

Do you know if laws applies regarding beach public finds

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Correction: Anything that can be labeled an antiquity is Federal Property. I mean really old stuff. the gold I believe is not far from my house is Federal Property, and taking it would be prison time. Finding 50 year old coins is probably not prison time. So, ancient (i.e. Era of Cortes) gold on the beach would be a crime if not turned in. A tourists Seiko watch, is not an antiquity.

dougachim

Jan 30, 2013
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the early 1980s, Fisher Co. had a monthly or quarterly type periodical published. In it, they had a Q&A type column. In one edition, a question appeared, something to the effect of: "I'm getting ready to vacation in Mexico. Is metal detecting legal there?" The answer they were given was titled: "When travelling to Mexico, leave the detectors at home". The author went on to say that, yes, it was ILLEGAL to detect in Mexico, blah blah.

In the next edition of that same periodical, in that same Q&A column, several readers had written in to take issue with the answer Fisher had given. They were saying things like "Since WHEN are detectors not allowed there?" and "Who gave you that information?" or "We go down there all the time and never have a problem." etc...

Fisher answered the objections by explaining their answer: When they had fielded the question in the previous edition, they simply went to a Mexican consulate or customs person/office, and asked! I mean, who better to ask, than Mexico themselves, right? Doh! Whomever they had asked, might have couched their answer in terms of looting pyramaids, shipwreck salvor laws, federal protected historic sites, exporting gold bars, or .... who knows? I mean, it would be the same if you were to ask some American Bureaucrats: "Can I metal detect in the United states for treasure?" you might be told "no", because they're thinking in terms of ARPA, Mel Fisher legal wars, Shiloh, Ghettysburg, lost-property laws, etc....

In any case, whatever bureaucrat lawyer type Fisher had consulted, had told them "no". But get this: all the major dealers (Whites, Garrett, and yes ... even FISHER) had dealers down in Mexico, and detectors are a common site on the tourist beaches, and I suppose on land. It would be no different than here, that as long as you're not being a nuisance, or hunting obviously sensitive historic sites, you're ok.

I guess it's kind of the same psychology for any public place, be it a park, a school, a vacant lot, etc.... the minute you ask a bureaucrat "can I metal detect here?" you may get a "no", when in fact, no one really cares, or would have noticed (until you asked). I know it sounds like a catch-22, because, "what if there really HAD been a law?" To that I would answer, look it up yourself, to see if something is really in writing (usually available on-line somewhere), rather than asking. Because by asking a live person, they can interpret your question as "can I have permission?" (like, as if you were asking for their OK). I have seen this happen to someone asking at a city hall "is metal detecting legal in the parks here?" The clerk looked and looked, and couldn't find anything at all to address it (ie.: silent on the issue). But she retorted "we don't want people digging in the parks, so I'll have to tell you 'no'". The guy was pulling his hair out, because he realized he had just gotten a "no", when in fact, he'd probably have just been ignored in the field, if he'd just gone. If he had just gone and done his own homework (codes usually available on city websites), he'd have concluded that he was ok, as long as he wasn't making a mess or something. Ie.: just be discreet. I can't help but wonder if it's not the same mentality on a national level. Same for a lot of European countries (France, Spain, etc...), that, if you asked, or looked up written rules, you might conclude that you can't metal detect there. But there are throngs of hobbiests there, dealers, etc... They'll tell you that you can hit farmer's fields with permission, that are outside the scope of public land laws. Or quite frankly, they just hunt so far back in the forests, that there's not a soul around to care a less.
everyone I know in Chihuahua has one, I have supplied many of them. If there was any chance they were illegal you would not get them thru customs. I do all the time.

OP
OP
Tom_in_CA

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
everyone I know in Chihuahua has one, I have supplied many of them. If there was any chance they were illegal you would not get them thru customs. I do all the time.

Well You know what this means don't you ? It means : That all those people you "know in Chihuahua" didn't go asking enough bureaucrats there "Can I ?" .

If they had done so, I'll bet they can eventually find someone to say "No". And, heck, maybe even be able to cite dire-sounding verbiage to be morphed to say such things . Eg.: Cultural heritage bologna, harming earthworms, etc...

Thus : Shame on them for not asking ? ??? :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions