To the idiot who -

seatedhalf

Dec 28, 2007
Parma MI
Detector(s) used
M6 and DFX and now a E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This person apparently goes to Wolf Lake too. It is not squirrels either. He leaves dirt outside the hole and the garbage he does not want along with the plug. Cascades Hill was in horrible shape also.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if these "dum-dum" folks realize what they are doing.

If nothing else - I take ALL my garbage (and any other I find) - for a selfish reason - I don't want to find it again in the future. I mean, duh.

And, we not only fill our own holes (coin "popping" doesn't always work-since we find more than just coins), but we have, on many occasions, filled other people's holes.

And, we have actually had people say things like "oh - I'm so glad that you are cleaning up the area at the same time" - people notice, if if you
don't think they do. They also notice the stuff that is bad. We fill other people's holes because WE want to be able to come back to an area.

I mean - just a little common sense goes a long way. I guess "common sense" is not all that "common"

Beth

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
seatedhalf said:
This person apparently goes to Wolf Lake too. It is not squirrels either. He leaves dirt outside the hole and the garbage he does not want along with the plug. Cascades Hill was in horrible shape also.

Maybe with all the garbage he won't go back to Cascades. I never detect the hill, I leave that to the people with far more patience than me.

Haven't been to Wolf Lake in a long time, with gas as high as it is. Found my first Barber quarter in the lake there.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
jadeblackhawk said:
seatedhalf said:

Maybe with all the garbage he won't go back to Cascades. I never detect the hill, I leave that to the people with far more patience than me.

Haven't been to Wolf Lake in a long time, with gas as high as it is. Found my first Barber quarter in the lake there.
I've hit Cascades several times. The best I've ever done was a wheatie or two. I just don't get it.
I remember the Jackson Cit Pat doing an article about a detectorist who hunted the Cascades...must of been back in the late '70's, early 80's. He displayed a nice IH penny he found there...

The Recovery Agents

Oct 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola Vaquero Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
I always fill & groom that is just the way, otherwise its just disrespectful.

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I leave it's just like it should be less trash and no holes, I just can't believe that people don't take the time to fill hole and then again I do :angry5: Good hunting.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I was at Sharp park yesterday, it looked like a battleground. Sod chunks laying everywhere, and hundreds of holes. I saw the culprits! Dudes practicing their golf swings...and divots EVERYWHERE!

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fistfulladirt,

That's one of those things that nobody wants to talk about. It amazes me (it shouldn't) that in many places, people practice their swings, heck, we find golf balls all over the place - but - that's ok, because golf is a money-making "sport". Sponsors make money, golfers make money, advertisers make money, television stations make money - so, its ok. In fact, more "natural land" has been made into golf courses and ski lodges than anything WE have ever had access to. They don't care about the environment, or the endangered species, or if animals can get to water, when it involves golf and skiing.

But, then again, those environmentalists quite often have golf and skiing weekends, don't they???

Beth

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
I am an enviromentalist, and I certainly do not advocate making golf courses (sorry, this is NOT a sport, it is a game). That was an uncalled-for remark.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, it was quite appropriate.

I get letters from time to time from the Sierra Club and Nature's Conservancy, and, once in a great while, from the Wildlife Foundation. I have had contact
with the Sierra Club since 1993.

I was QUITE perturbed, when, a few years ago, I was "invited" to a week-long event, which included golfing, nature hikes, and some other activities that had absolutely NOTHING to do with environmental issues - and everything to do with having access (with vehicles) to an area that, as a citizen, I could not drive.

At one time, this land was "supposedly" withdrawn - but, if you are the right people - it is not off-limits to you. Golf and skiing vacations are quite a favorite activity for some environmental groups.

Of course, if you have lots of money, or, you are someone special, environmental issues don't matter - Cheney was hunting in a "preserve", there are car
races in the Mojave desert.

OR - you can "donate" land to places like the Sierra Club, and, then folks can PAY them for outings.

And, sorry - there is absolutely NO difference in golf and metal detecting. The only difference is - who is doing the activity.

Take a Sierra Club Vacation:

http://www.sierraclub.org/outings/lodges/

I can give you many, many "outings" by Nature's Conservance, Sierra Club and others. In fact, we were stopped once from having a horse pack trip, because they were afraid there might be some poop in their way. Is poop natural?

Now, jadeblackhawk,

I was NOT referring to any one person in particular - just the way things are. Are you aware of the fact that Sierra Club gets to make the maps for land withdrawals? Are you aware that, many places in the west donated to Nature's Conservancy for withdrawal are actually LIVED in by Nature's Conservancy members?

Its a racket. Has been, will continue to be.

Beth

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
"And, sorry - there is absolutely NO difference in golf and metal detecting."

If you do not know the difference I would advise you seek help!
A golfer is not finding items of the past, historical relics and artifacts. They are not hunting these items.

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the realm of "HOBBIES", there is NO difference between golf, metal detecting, horseback riding - or whatever your hobby may be.

Many a person, NOT practicing their "hobby", has found artifacts, graves, arrowheads, etc. You don't absolutely have to be metal detecting to find them. In fact, quite a few artifacts will never be found by metal detectorists - anything that is not metal.

Most people are NOT professional golfers, so it is a hobby. However, while someone is taking down trees and digging up areas to plant to that nice grass, etc., one just might find "treasure", old graves, and whatever. In fact, not too long ago, a golf team found a medallion.

However, in the realm of the organizations known as "environmentalists" (again, I will repeat, not a specific individual, but organizations), they do NOT want
you to metal detect - their LIE is that they are "saving" something - the truth is - they are "saving" it for themselves, and those like them, or they are "saving" it for monetary gain (easy to do when you get to be "tax exempt" -everything goes under "maintenance"). Many places that were "donated" were
sold to corporations, or "clubs", what have you.

The sooner we, as treasure hunters, as a group - learn to be VERY careful with our holes, with our manners (as a whole), the better, because they use it as excuses to get rid of us. Even if all those holes are from someone practicing their "chip" shots.

There are thousands upon thousands of "environmentalists" - who really care about the land - but, putting it all under a glass dome, keeping the public off it, taking it away to certain groups here and there - is NOT the way to save the land, or anything else. If someone is causing destruction, you prosecute the offender, not activity.

This is the very reason that there are places trying to stop kids from making sand castles at the beach. There has to be a middle ground - but, that's not what we are doing. And, outfits like Sierra Club and Nature's Conservancy are the worst examples (or best examples), of that type of excess.

Beth

jadeblackhawk

May 27, 2006
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Deus 2
Painting everyone under any label with the same broad brush is ALWAYS inappropriate. Sounds like someone is carrying a very large chip. You'd feel better if you put it down.

It's like saying all republicans are misogynistic religious extremists when it's just some making all of them look bad.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread