mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
I have a Quattro.
I bought a Quattro last year.
1. Get Andy Sabich's Book "Mastering the Quattro", Great Book. I have read it several times now.
2. Slow down. The Quattro is a great machine, but it isn't a speed demon. I think most people that give up on them don't take the time to learn it, and never slow their swing down.
3. Test Garden. Knowing what you are over, and how deep, is probably the best thing I ever did for learning mine (after Andy's book).
The Quattro will play you a symphony, and when you get started it will confuse, and sometimes infuriate you.
4. Turn down the sensitivity when you are getting started. This was huge for me. When I turned it down off auto, to 12 or 13 to get started I started being able to pick out coins and small objects sooooo much easier. It didn't change the depth nearly as much as I would have thought either.
5. Get a small coil. I got a 5" Sunray coil in August. The Quattro's biggest weakness in my opinion is how it handles in trashy areas. (Hence the Safari) Using a small coil had me picking out coins in areas that had been pounded for years. I set the sensitivity at 15 and picked out IHs and a semi key date V-nickel in an old fairgrounds that has been pounded by dozens of mders for years.
6. Be patient. There is a learning curve to a Quattro. This has defeated more mders than anything else. When the light comes on in your head, slowly at first, you will love the machine, and be finding deepies that nothing else has ever touched.

Good Luck.
Mark

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tesoro tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that's they key with any detector. you have to slow down, know your machine,and have patience.A lot of people give up because of this. heck i almost did i was frustrated and i read my Manuel over and over and over.. now I'm happy with my machine and know what its telling me... and don't be discouraged about depth sometimes its better to just hunt in the Field to see the depth but do air testing so you know what the machine is picking up so you know your settings for jewelry or coins...And i think the most important thing of all is to have fun and meet up with other detectorist who been doing this for a while its a big help in understanding hunting and seeing how there machines work for them..

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's one of the most confussing questions to all metal detectorist. what machine will suite me, that's a question you can answer Goldie... what do you want from your machine? you want jewlerly, coins, relics..

I got me a cibola so i can hunt everything,its considered a all terrain machine.. and i got me a tiger shark to just hunt for coins and jewelry in water... but it can also be used to prospect for gold veins but its to heavy for land it really is, i have to get me a hip mount to use on land... see if minelab has a all terrain machine and then google reviews on that machine... other reviews helped me buy my first machine it took me 4 months.. i didn't want to give up 360 bucks so easy and i heard a lot of diffrent things from people.. Like the ace 250 that's the machine i wanted but i heard so many bad things and likes or dislikes so i stayed away from garret then i checked out whites which is a good brand but they have so much stuff and programming to just hunt a park. Minelab I'm really not sure about, though i did want there underwater machine but it was way to costly so i got the tesoro again....

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Goldie,
For general metal detecting of course the big three are Etrac, Explorer and now Safari (new version of the Quattro)
Those three are all the FBS machines, Full Band Spectrum with 28 frequencies.
Next up would be the X-Terra series, 70, 50 and 30, not full band spectrum, but nice machines that make use of changing coils that change the machine frequency.

Big questions are what kind of detecting do you do? And maybe the biggest: What do you want to spend?
New E-tracs are $1500, Explorer $1300, Safari $1000 and Xterras range by package and type.

I really like my Quattro. Once I got to know it I have been amazed at what the Full Band Spectrum can tell you about what is under your feet.

Good Luck,
Mark

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow, i hope with those detectors you get what you pay for, they seem like a top notch machine..if i paid over 1,000 on detector it better find stuff over 2 feet

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Hey Planet,
I've gotten a quarter at nearly 16" last summer in soft wet soil in woods. Gotten quite a few over 10".
Thanks,
mark

Planet1mars

Feb 18, 2008
Shelby Twp., mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I cant wait to see that machine dan.. sounds like a cadilac of metal detectors

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Maybe we should start a new post on all the other questions and coments here. This started as Mojohand asking about use of his new Quattro. He may still be interested in his original purpose of the post. lol.

Just got thinking about that when I saw how far we had wandered from his question.

Good Luck,
Mark

goldie1959

Oct 7, 2007
michigan
Detector(s) used
garrett ultra gta 500
my fault. hope you have good luck with that and iwill be envious of you mojo til i can get one hh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread